Menu
pradamedia
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow 2.4g

I have just upgraded to 500Mbps broadband. Hub 3.0 shows I get 1000Mpbs. My TV is currently utilising the WiFi connection  and gives 846Mbps. Both of these are on 5G and they are fairly close together within my house. (Speed checkers show I actually get 232Mbps for the Broadband)

My problem is that I work from my garage and use a USB Wifi dongle, taking signal from the Router in the house. This has got way poorer over the years to the point that a selection of speed checkers now give between 10 and 20Mbps download speeds (even with an extender, which I recently purchased). However the Hub 3.0 says I am getting 51Mbps on 2.4G

I'm a little confused here.

Why am I getting such poor 2.4G and why am I not getting any 5G at all in my garage?

Much obliged for some advice

andy

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow 2.4g

5ghz is faster but has shorter range - it sounds like the signal isn’t getting to the garage.

the hubs WiFi is poor at the best of times, 

extenders are also a poor way to improve WiFi signal - what did you buy?

you’d be better off running an Ethernet cable from hub to garage and sticking a WiFi access point on the end of the cable (or maybe an old wireless router if you have one..)..

0 Kudos
pradamedia
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The things is, once upon a time I used to get a really decent signal in my garage, could pretty much do what I needed without worry.  Is there anything that might have gone wrong to change this? I understand the pros and cons of 2.4G and 5G. But give my garage is less than 30 feet away, with two windows in between router and usb dongle, 20Mbps from a 500Mbps feed just doesn't sound right. I could string an ethernet cable but, as you will imagine, getting it out of the house and in to the garage easily and inconspicuously is a bit of a pain

a

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@pradamedia wrote:

The things is, once upon a time I used to get a really decent signal in my garage, could pretty much do what I needed without worry.  Is there anything that might have gone wrong to change this? I understand the pros and cons of 2.4G and 5G. But give my garage is less than 30 feet away, with two windows in between router and usb dongle, 20Mbps from a 500Mbps feed just doesn't sound right. I could string an ethernet cable but, as you will imagine, getting it out of the house and in to the garage easily and inconspicuously is a bit of a pain

a

wifi is subject to external interference.. that could have changed over time.

20Mbps is within an acceptable range on the 2.4ghz channel at that distance with obstacles in-between.

your options, from worst to best, are:

1. buy some powerline adapters and stick an access point in the garage (or get a powerline setup that has an access point built in)

2. buy a better wifi router / mesh system that provides a stronger signal

3. run an ethernet cable from hub to garage and install a wifi access point in there 

0 Kudos