Menu
Stewicidal
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Slow 1gb fibre speeds - wired

Hi, I’m experiencing “slow“ speeds on 1gb fibre.

My upload is fine and as advertised, but my download is around 350 over Ethernet (and Wi-Fi). When I first signed up I wasn’t getting 1gb, but I was at least getting 700ish. 

I was previously on the 350mb service and frequently got over 400mb. I’m paying substantially more now and getting very little in return.

Anything I can do? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow 1gb fibre speeds - wired

Hello

What does https://samknows.com/realspeed/ report ?

On the hub 4 there is a limitation as it only uses Gigabit Ethernet and that is limited to 940mbps.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Stewicidal
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I can’t use that. perhaps because I’m in modem only mode?

What I can say, is that when I first got gig1 I was getting speeds of between 600 over and 750 over Ethernet, which is acceptable but not what was advertised.

After a bit of research I switched to modem only mode and connected the frequently recommended ASUS router. It changed nothing. I just accepted it is what it is.

But over the last couple of months my speeds haven’t gone beyond 350. I get that there’s more load on the network with everyone in lockdown, but at this point I’d be better off with my old package.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You won’t get 1Gbps over a wired connection anyway - you’ll get about 900Mbps tops. 

What device are you Speedtesting with?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Stewicidal
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Understood, I’d be content with 900. But 300mbps is a fraction of that.

Using a wired 2020 iMac, and MacBook Pro. Before modem only mode, it was the MacBook Pro direct to the hub.

Before lockdown, I was using a 2010 iMac. Interestingly a Speedtest through safari would get me 350-400mbs, but in chrome I would get 600-900. But since lockdown it doesn’t matter where I test or what with, the results are the same. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Remove the ASUS router and wire direct to the hub - what speeds do you get?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Stewicidal
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It’s hard to tell, since the hub4 no longer seems to accept the settings password, even after 2 factory resets.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So is the hub in modem mode or in router mode now?

0 Kudos
Stewicidal
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so I had switched it back to router mode, but then was unable to log in to the settings page, so I did a couple of factory resets. It then didn't like the default password, so I did one more factory reset and crossed my fingers, and that appears to be sorted now.

Now then, Samknows is reporting a decent 1gb line, and the speedtest is showing 930mbs. Indicating the ASUS router is the culprit, which is disappointing.

I guess I'll go back to using the Hub4 for now. The reason I was modem only was due to being burnt by the hub3. It kept dropping the 2.4ghz network for no reason, which would knock out my home alarm system and my video doorbell. The only way to reconnect them was to full reboot the hub, which is poor. The ASUS router has been absolutely solid, so I'm a bit sad to see that it was the cause of my poor speeds.

Does anybody know of a router that works well with the hub4 in modem only and 1gb service? In case I start to see the same sporadic SSID drops with the hub4.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Hub4 as a router is more stable than than the Hub3, albeit still not great.

What model is the ASUS router?

There must be a configuration that’s amiss in the ASUS.

Has the ASUS been factory reset since moving it into the Hub4?

0 Kudos