cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 1GB service wired and WiFi on a new hub4

LesQ666
Joining in

Hi,

I’m on a new hub 4 with a 1GB service. Ethernet cat6 cable connection speed of 850MB and WiFi speed of 350MB t0 450MB. Level 1 and 2 are not able to help at Virgin. 

When i was on M200 service the WiFi was 190 - 200MB, when o M500 WiFi speed was 480 - 500MB.

anyone any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speeds are you expecting?

On an ethernet cable you should get ~950 Mbps - try a new Cat6e cable and disconnect all other connections from the Hub (also switch its wifi off).

On wifi, the Hub4 is Wifi5 - not wifi6 - so the maximum speeds you will get on wifi will be ~600Mbps (its just Physics). So yours should be a bit better - how many devices are connected when you are testing? - ideally it should only be one.

It might increase if you do a pinhole reset of the Hub, but to get close to GB speeds you need wifi6 equipment and devices that re wifi6 enabled. VM's Hub5 is wifi6 - but is not available for GB customers yet (its still on test) so you would have to buy your own

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’m no expert but i would expect more from a service that advertises a 1GB service, when i got 200MB from my M200 service and near 500MB from my M500 package. 

Even Virgin advertise better speeds as average.47D0627C-973C-4ED7-874B-7CEC847B9774.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

However note the 1Gb max speed is not for 1 device. If you download across a couple of devices, you should get the full speed when combined.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI LesQ666,

Thanks for you response and welcome to the community!

From looking at the account I can see there is a bit of a provisioning issue on the account, can you reboot your equipment and leave for 2 minutes before turning back on?

Also are you able to run tests on a new Cat6 cable with the other connections disconnected?

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Kain