cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking speeds and frequent drops

dawndibs
Just joined

Been sent here by the twitter team. Been having shocking speeds and frequent complete drops for around 3 weeks, since some planned maintenance was done in my area.

I have rebooted the router, I have left it unplugged to drain to clear the cache. 

I really want a diagnostic ran on my line to see if there is a fault.

Oh and I don't have a device suitable to plug the cable into to check the wired connection.

Twitter team said I need to ask on here to be able to actually get some help from Virgin services!

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just as an aside - you can connect "any" device to the Hub by ethernet cable with the approriate adapter - I have ones for USB3, USBc, Thunderbolt & Lightning.

Lets see you connections data - do this....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the first page up and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sadly, adapter's cost pennies I simply don't have at the moment but this is good to know for future! Thanks

The rest of the advice is rather above my understanding haha! But I'll get pops to have a read through tomorrow! Thanks for your reply 🙂