Menu
Byebaz
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Shocking slow broadband

Would love someone to explain why switching to Virgin 350mb that we can’t download due to “sorry your broadband speed is too slow” and watch a film that worked perfectly on BT 50mb. Completely Mis-sold

0 Kudos
Edward_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shocking slow broadband

Hi Byebaz,

I apologise you're having some issues with the broadband speeds. 

As a field technician I can categorically state that there must be an issue with the set up or signal which you are receiving at the property. 

Can I direct you to take a look at the self help page first? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband

Can I also ask some additional questions? 

Did you have the Hub delivered as part of a Quickstart kit? 

What device is it you are attempting to watch the film on which is giving you the error message? 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Byebaz
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I direct you to take a look at the self help page first?  Tried that and the webpage has now gone down im imagining that it’s all the other people with issues trying to run a check on their broadband all at the same time!!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband

Can I also ask some additional questions? 

Did you have the Hub delivered as part of a Quickstart kit?  No it was installed by a virgin fitter who also said that the 250mb I’m getting should reach 350mb in 7 days we’ll since I’ve had it I’ve been lucky to even reach 250mb!!! So why am I paying for 350??

What device is it you are attempting to watch the film on which is giving you the error message?  Samsung TV which as I said with BT had no issues but with Virgin we are having to switch to phones and use 5g to get it working - shocking really!!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok - go back to "home base".

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode.

So make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers (Chrome!) causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Byebaz
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok so tried that and the speed check suggests that the speed is as it should be however a diagnostic check identifies Wi-fi issues suggesting that I need to move all Wi-fi devices closer!! - see attached (now I live in a normal house with plasterboard walls so I don’t know how I can’t get Wi-fi from the living room where the hub is located into the kitchen the next door room) 

8F79659B-916D-495E-B6E1-9F6483D91569.jpeg

0 Kudos
Byebaz
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My Wi-fi speed check in the room next door to the hub was a download speed of 10.11mbps and an upload speed of 9.72mbps no wonder our tv keeps buffering and the kids are going mental!!!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So your BB connection is fine but the wifi is problematic. As you have a Hub 3 you can try and do what's documented in the link below as that sometimes sorts its wifi issues.

Alternatively you can do what I and many others do and dont use the Hub wifi but get your own better quality equipment that will give you whole home maximum wifi coverage - and a stress free life.
-----
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-wifi-connection/m-p/4063642#M213435

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Griffo52
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shocking slow broadband Southport area

I am finding that the Virgin Broadband optical fibre that I am on is awful at the moment, I have a Macbook pro running on an Ethernet and I am getting 0.83mb download YES THAT'S UNDER 1.00mbs and under 10 upload, tested again and the upload has gone down to 0.49mb and that is a wired connection !! No wifi. What is going on ? Why is it so slow ? I am in an optical fibre area in Southport Merseyside. If this continues as it has for months Virgin is getting the boot because I am paying for the top speed and getting the worst service ever. Is anyone else  having issues ? 

0 Kudos
Griffo52
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shocking slow broadband Southport area

Screenshot 2020-06-01 at 09.28.46.png

Is this what I am paying via a wired connection via my Ethernet ?  0.49mbs ?? 

0 Kudos