Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Severe Speed Issues

I currently pay for the 500Mbs service and have had this for approximately 2 months now.

In all that time the speed has only exceeded 300Mbs on 1 occasion which was the day it was installed.

Since then it has maxed out at around 240Mbs. Most of the time it struggles to reach 170Mbs.

Recently however, it is struggling to even get to 10Mbs and on occasion to 0.17Mbs!! I had faster dial-up times.

Trying to get help via the website is useless as the page it ultimately directs me to is not found (400 error) Trying to call on the phone leaves me in a queue for the best part of an hour before eventually directing me back to the website where the page doesn't exist.

I'm severely regret moving from BT now as I depend on my internet for work and it's now impossible to do any at all. I also wonder if there is anyone other than sales people and instal;lation engineers that work for Virgin. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone at the moment!

I have tried all of the usual fixes with the router reboot, cables, etc - none have made any difference. I've tried both wi-fi and wired connections to no avail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Severe Speed Issues

I will add that the currently measured speeds are a heady download of 37.90 Mbs and upload of 2.87 Mbs, which is pretty quick for the moment (sic!) About 30 minutes ago it was sitting at 6.17Mbs download.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

What's your ping like? have you run a ping to a DNS server (like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8) for a long time to see if you're experiencing any spikes or packet loss?

Set up a BQM to monitor your connection https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

This will constantly monitor your internet connection and give you a graph which will highlight issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Just run the test via your weblink and it came back with the following:

Download: 11.7Mbs

Upload: 0.8Mbs

Latency 49ms

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ran it again just anow and it's now down to:

Download: 8.0Mbs

Upload: 1.2Mbs

Latency: 99ms

All of this on what is supposed to be a 500Mbs fibre connection!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Click on "create monitor" not test. you need to set up a broadband quality monitor.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I think I've managed to do that - perhaps not surprisingly it doesn't appear to tell me much at the moment though

Yogi1474_0-1605181093153.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It'll start to show statistics in a few hours, bear with it.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, in the end I managed to get through on the phone but it took several days trying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, might have to call an engineer over because this is insane. Literally just installed and i can stand right next to the router and get upto 30 download on a M500 package !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Indeed. It's also impossible to get through to speak to anyone as well, so booking an engineer is also therfore impossible.

I may well just cancel my contract and suffer the penalty and revert back to BT.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos