cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate or automatic 2.4 and 5G

Beardy_Chris
Joining in

A couple of months ago a VM customer services person turned off my separate 2.4G and 5G networks and switched it to an automatic setting where it doesn't show the separate networks. Ever since I have experienced 2 issues.

Firstly, my work laptop will show as being connected to the router but without internet. If I disconnect and reconnect from the network it comes back on.

Secondly, when listening to Spotify through an Amazon echo it has annoying split second pauses every few minutes.

I had neither of these 2 issues before the setting was changed and I had my devices close to the router connected to 5G and those further away connected to 2.4G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Beardy_Chris wrote:

A couple of months ago a VM customer services person turned off my separate 2.4G and 5G networks and switched it to an automatic setting where it doesn't show the separate networks. Ever since I have experienced 2 issues.<snip>

Personally I prefer a split SSID and manual band and channel setting.  That way the wifi is not changing channels and bands as it see's fit.  This can lead to wifi dropouts as the "intelligence" moves the devices from one channel to another etc.

To split the SSID again, see below;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

Also disable the Smart Optimisation option in the wifi.

However if you use the new VM Pods, then you need to leave the SSID as one with the Smart options turned on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Beardy_Chris wrote:

A couple of months ago a VM customer services person turned off my separate 2.4G and 5G networks and switched it to an automatic setting where it doesn't show the separate networks. Ever since I have experienced 2 issues.<snip>

Personally I prefer a split SSID and manual band and channel setting.  That way the wifi is not changing channels and bands as it see's fit.  This can lead to wifi dropouts as the "intelligence" moves the devices from one channel to another etc.

To split the SSID again, see below;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

Also disable the Smart Optimisation option in the wifi.

However if you use the new VM Pods, then you need to leave the SSID as one with the Smart options turned on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks,

This has put it back to the way it was before and so far so good with Spotify!