Menu
Vic-Viper
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Samknows RealSpeed Vs Speedtest

Good evening,

I don't think this is a problem as such but just wanted to run it by the community to hear their views on the matter.

I am currently on the Gig1 package with a SuperHub 4 but I'm getting conflicting results when using Samknows as compared to Speedtest.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop with an integrated ethernet port capable of gigabit speeds connected to the Hub 4 via a cat6 cable.

Samknows - 1086 Mbps to Hub 4 but to computer 502 Mbps.

Speedtest - 946 Mbps.

As you can see I am getting the correct speed to the Hub 4 on Samknows but the output to the computer always seems to result in around the 500 Mbps mark whereas the Speedtest result always pretty much hits the expected result.

I know when reading the forums that Virgin recommend that I should always use Samknows as it uses a speed test that is encoded in the router itself but do you think this is anything I should be concerned about seeing as the Speedtest results seem to be fine?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
cynapse
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samknows RealSpeed Vs Speedtest

Hi,

I'll caveat this by saying that my experience is with Hub3 at 500Mbps.

I can demonstrate that I have gigabit networking internally at home. This means I know that my home networking is not bottlenecking the WAN connectivity. That being said on occasion I notice a device is not  obtaining full speed internet over copper. The first thing I do is make sure that the device can connect at 1Gbps internally and almost always it can't because the CAT6 is damaged. It doesn't help that i generally crimp my own cables and I'm not very good, and also cables are bent or moved often. However my experience with the Hub3 is generally it looks like I am getting close to 100% throughput at 500Mbps when in modem mode. So 450Mbps to hub gives about 450 to any wired device with a 1Gbps NIC.

First thing I would do is 1. Make sure your laptop actually is capable of downloading a file at 1Gbps internally. By that I mean test and observe it actually downloading or transferring a file at over 100MBps over that CAT6 cable. and 2 swap the cable to double check it isn't that. If your hub is receiving 900 so should a wired device that can receive at that AFAIK. But that depends on the wire and the device handling that speed!

conman33158
Super solver
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samknows RealSpeed Vs Speedtest

Mine is actually the other way around. I'll get 940mb on Samknows/realspeed and 570-600mb on speedtest.net. I got talking to a Tech within Virgin and he said to always go with the Samknows test and that speedtest.net does not support Virgin 1 Gigabyte connection, don't really know how true that is though. I've since put the router in modem mode using an Asus router and don't use speedtest.net as it always shows 500-600mb speed and the odd time 800mb, instead I use fast.com or ovh.net which will always show around 850-950mb speed. Also if I download files from various newshosting sites I always get 90MB/s-112MB/s so I know I'm getting my full speed 👍

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158