Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Same old, same old.

Once again my "up to 200Mb" has been between 2 and 3 for over 24 hours.

This and the many disconnections/slow speeds over the last month, as verified by Broadband Monitor that I'm running, makes me question why I should bother staying with VM.

Paying for 200MB and getting 2-3MB.

Interestingly BT Fibre is available on the pole at the end of my property.........

Seriously now considering changing provider.

Can I have a refund Virgin?

Broadband Monitor.jpg

Virgin Speedtest 12-01-20.jpg

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
Sony Bravia 4K Smart Android TV
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Same old, same old.

Check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Cables are all ok.

Here's the data

DownStream.jpg

Upstream.jpg

Network Log.jpg

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly the service went off for 20 minutes after my last post.

Monitor Service Off.jpg

Instead of trying to push the envelope to 1GB speeds it would be appreciated if you can get the lower end of the spectrum stable.

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Logs not looking too good.
BQM looks awful.
Upstream power levels are too high. A lot of postRS errors.
Can you reset the "counters" or reboot the Hub and see if they start building up from 0 - quickly over the next few hours

You are going to need a VM Techy visit to sort your connection out. Either wait on here until a VM person responds or try calling in for one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Rebooted Hub

New logs below

Downstream 2.jpg

Upstream 2.jpg

Network Log 2.jpg

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just to add to the list of woes already spotted, your downstream power levels are fluctuating, and in the most recent post a couple of channels are too low and another couple borderline.

Question to jbrennand: You said to restart the hub, and that certainly resets the error counters on a Hub 3, but on a SH2 isn't it the case that the error count is persistent and needs the "Reset counter" buttons to be clicked?  In this case it's a moot point because the logs are awful, the BQM is awful and most things that can be out of spec seem to be, but I thought worth clarifying for our mutual reference in future?

Anyway, for bds1958, you've got a totally beggared up connection, and unless there's an area fault you'll need a technician to come and fix that.  The forum staff can advise on this when they pick this up (or you can take a chance and try phoning the offshore "help" desk - personally I wouldn't waste my time).  If you do get a technician out, there's a good chance that your hub will be replaced by a Hub 3.  That would be a good thing because the Hub 3 is a better cable modem, but be aware that the default wireless settings are a big bit crummy.  If you're familiar with changing settings then its just a case of renaming both SSID with different names, turning off auto channel selection and channel optimisation, turning off guest wifi if you don't use it, and increasing the channel width on 5 GHz only.  If you're thinking "What's he on about?" then (if you end up with a Hub 3) see how you get on, if it seems slow or at all flakey on wireless, start a new post and somebody will (eventually) explain what to do in simpler steps.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi bds1958

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and I'm sorry to see you've been having broadband issues

I'd be happy to look into this for you, with the view of booking a technician

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

PM me to discuss technician visit details please.

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

......and to rub salt into the wound it's now been off for an hour and a half and counting.

Doing my head in.

Screenshot_20200112-180137.png

M200 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime Phone
Maxit TV
V6
500GB TIVO
Pixel C
Google Pixel 3XL
0 Kudos