Menu
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

SNR issue locally can it effect my WIFI only?

re above, just upgraded from 350 to 500mbs and know there's an SNR issue in the area. My LAN speed is 538 on speedtest.net but my wifi on various devices on 5ghz signal is terrible. Prior to my service change it was excellent 200+. Question is it true that this type of outage/issue would effect only my wireless signal and not the internet into the house recorded by the hub 3.

I've done a full reset and changed my ssid ids back (I split the 2.4 and 5 ghz signals). I have also turned off optimization which does not ever help me!

Any ideas? I can't get an engineer out as there's an issue in the area with a fix date of the 14th July so a bit stuck.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SNR issue locally can it effect my WIFI only?

not it will not effect your wireless.

0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I thought so. I'm being fobbed off (again).

Can I have an engineer request (maybe a note to suppliment it so they will turn up?) Come on, I;ve just signed another 18 month contract

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

They wont send out tech visits whilst there is a "known problem" being fixed. Makes sense really.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

and they won't send anyone out for wireless. Your connection is only guaranteed wired
0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Look. I'm now getting 5mbps from a 500mbs connection. SOmething is up. I've reset and reset and reser. I've split the ssid, I've removed the security. Something is not right. 

I am about the walk out of my house, my kids are screaming, wife trying to work. This is disgraceful. Covid means speaking to nice people in their homes who can't access the systems and the outage or replacement part needed is nothing to do with anything. My neighbour has VM and his smaller services are untouched.

I want a mod to contact me, this is not acceptable. I am quite savvy with these things but this is not right, especially in the light of signing a new contract.

I'm bumping this until I get a response. Thanks to those who have commented. Yes the service into the house is good but they must support a minimum speed on wifi too, I hope.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

no they don't support wifi.
if you get the speed wired you get the services.

Bumping also puts you to the back of the queue as vm work from bottom up
0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It could be an issue with the 5Ghz band on your HUB 3.

I know it sounds backwards however could you try connecting one of your wireless devices to the 2.4Ghz SSID and perform another test?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@pgould1972 wrote:

That’s a WiFi test again.

What is the spec of the wireless card on that machine?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos