Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

SNALI SPEED

My Package says 100mbps.  My test results say: Which 8.8 download, 8.5 upload; Ookla says 13.24 download, 7.55 upload; Speed whatever, recommended by Virgin says 13.52 download and 2.47 upload and second time 11.52 download 9.42 upload.

Am I missing something or is the 100mbps or even the promised minimum 50mbps total bull and advertising puffery?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: SNALI SPEED

How are you testing? WIfi? Wired?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, on 100mbs service but using two or 3 different apps to test speed sitting next to my hub getting about 9mbs download speed. Stafford area. Maybe with everyone working from home speed has slowed right down?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

So I have a cable coming into the Hub and through to the TV Box.  My computer is on wifi (with a booster in the passage) as I am too far for a cable.  I have times of slowness before, but not as bad as this.  My view is that Virgin are charging me what feels like both arms and legs for this service and it should not be as slow.  And when I try that Virgin Media Connect app on my phone it just picks up the box if right next to it but anywhere else (even in the same room) it says I'm connected via an unrecognised access point???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can you TEST the PC over wired?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

No.  And, in any event that would not help as I have to be wireless in my study.  Surely the app on my phone should work if I am just three metres from the Hub?  So my view is either the whole system is slow due to Covid Overload, or there is something wrong with the Hub?  I get faster speeds using my phone as a hotspot than I do using the wireless from the Hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The point of the wired test is this.

If when tested "correctly" on an ethernet cable connected device - you are getting the speeds you should be getting, then it indicates that VM are actually delivering what they guarantee - i.e. speeds TO the Hub - and your problem is "just" a wifi one.

If it isnt - it may well be a Hub or network connection issue.

Different pathways to suggesting a fix apply in those different scenarios, so this is a helpful shortcut to helping you.

Worth having a "cheap" long (20-50m) run of Cat5e/6 ethernet cable to have in your man-drawer for occasions like this

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

OK.  So I understand the issue.  I'll get a cable.  In the meantime, has anybody some advice on a good, AFFORDABLE booster.  I am a student (self funding) so don't have lots of £££ lying around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

A booster isn’t what you need.

You need a better router, a mesh system or run a wired AP to the trouble spot. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary

You just moved into Persian.  What are all those things - mesh system or wired AP?  I understand the router - but that's essentially the Virgin box I have, so not much I can do about that.  And are your suggestions implementable by a tech novice?

0 Kudos