Menu
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SAMKNOWS NOTHING - WOOL OVER EYES...

Hi

Samknows real speed is the biggest hood wink I have ever known - who agrees? It is a total cop out for any speed issues here in the forum. I'm on 1gb, so it's like watching a dodgy version of a lottery machine...1100....1056...1040, always lands on roughly one of them and surprise the speed to PC lands on 600 ish.

How does it determine which location to test from!!? At least speed test.net shows 900 - 946 (not a penny more) and it connects me to a location less than 40 miles away.

I can't say this any more obviously can all helpful people stop banging on about samknows real test as it is something that detects your hub and generates the to property speed of what you would expect. The rest of the tools on there such as latency, etc are useless. It is a clever rouse used by VM and probably vodafone to show that you are getting your line speed.

The samknows even shows a to property speed of 1gb over wireless - come on, people, please!

Oh and how come the hub 4 is capable of above 1gb services but some now say it maxes out at 940 over cat 6 wiring? In theory then, Vodafone should still call their service 1gb as well, that being the case.

I would fully expect to see speedtest results of 1001 mbps plus over a wired connection to a top end laptop but it maxes out at 946 or 600 with samknowsyouknow.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SAMKNOWS NOTHING - WOOL OVER EYES...

945 is due to TCP overheads on gigabit ethernet.
The hub tests the speed over docsis that can be much higher.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

One of the issues I see is the default Gigabit Ethernet has a potential frame throughput of 81000 bits per second and therefore a high throughput for actual data (about 118 MB/s), giving efficiency of 94%, or 940Mbps., this is the limit of a gigabit ethernet port.

The Samknows speed test and tests directly to the samknows test site, and tests the connection as far as the hub even when on wireless but you will see a drop off in the connection to a wireless PC.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the above even transferring files locally I see a maximum throughput of 880Mbps ish on my local network:

You need to understand the technology used, and hardware limitations, before insinuating fasle claims...

Fast internet connections are designed to be shared across multiple wired and wireless devices concurrently. I Imagine if you were downloading data on wired and wireless devices at the same time the throughput would be at the advertised speeds.

Oh and one list thing; I find your thread title quite ironic.

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Expected maximum speed into the hub 4: 1145Mbps

Expected maximum speed out of the hub 4: 940Mbps

It's possible to get higher speeds out of the hub but it isn't worth the extra cost of adding a 2.5Gbps LAN port as almost every device downstream of the hub has a 1Gbps port at best.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Here are the advertised speeds agreed with OFCOM (These are peak times as well)
GIg1 Fibre advertised speed = 1140Mbps
Expected Range 1124 - 1145 Mbps
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you VM fans will do). Does it say that this is down to overhead speed/restrictions. No, it doesn't.
You have all missed the point. SamKnows is a wholesale tool developed for gigabit providers to say it's you not us who are at fault. Are you seriously telling me that my speed of 940 through speedtest.net is not accurate and 600 with good old american Sam is?
Under what everyday circumstances would you not be able to get the above advertised speeds with a wired connection and new equipment? If it's not a typical household then it is misleading and like vodafone needs to be called something else, perhaps upto 900mbps with flaky wireless as long as you can't count? It's not very catchy.
This is typical of Borris Johnson's BB policy and the companies desperate to win contracts (just tell him it works, the public are stupid anyway).
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@pgould1972 wrote:
Here are the advertised speeds agreed with OFCOM (These are peak times as well)
GIg1 Fibre advertised speed = 1140Mbps
Expected Range 1124 - 1145 Mbps
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you VM fans will do). Does it say that this is down to overhead speed/restrictions. No, it doesn't.
You have all missed the point. SamKnows is a wholesale tool developed for gigabit providers to say it's you not us who are at fault. Are you seriously telling me that my speed of 940 through speedtest.net is not accurate and 600 with good old american Sam is?
Under what everyday circumstances would you not be able to get the above advertised speeds with a wired connection and new equipment? If it's not a typical household then it is misleading and like vodafone needs to be called something else, perhaps upto 900mbps with flaky wireless as long as you can't count? It's not very catchy.
This is typical of Borris Johnson's BB policy and the companies desperate to win contracts (just tell him it works, the public are stupid anyway).

Again you don't understand the technology used.

The advertised speed is to the HUB. That speed can be shared by multiple wired and wireless devices concurrently.

It's like when people moan about not getting full speed over wireless, VM shouldn't have to specify you won't get gigabit, 500Mbps, or even 350Mbps, speeds over wireless... Same goes for wired.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

6. We are not responsible if you are not able to use the services because your equipment does not work properly, is not compatible with the equipment (or services) (unless we have recommended it to you) or because of faults in any public communications provider's network (where applicable).

0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if you are being obtuse deliberately, have a shareholding in Liberty Global or you don't understand the technology of language?

How can it be the speed into the house, i.e to the modem or router if it cannot be measured by either a technician (recent speed test showed the speed nowhere near 500mbps never mind any higher) or the customer/household using VM's own equipment?

You need to understand that there is such a thing as gigabit connections using pre-supplied equipment.

No matter how much you wish to hide behind TCP or any other protocols, you and I are being lied to about what constitutes an advertised service. This whole pretense of the equipment not being capable is nonsense, For goodness sake, take a stance against what is wrong in the world instead of making excuses. When your service goes down, you won't get any special treatment, so do the correct thing, think out of the box and decide am I really correct?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@pgould1972 wrote:

I don't know if you are being obtuse deliberately, have a shareholding in Liberty Global or you don't understand the technology of language?

How can it be the speed into the house, i.e to the modem or router if it cannot be measured by either a technician (recent speed test showed the speed nowhere near 500mbps never mind any higher) or the customer/household using VM's own equipment?

You need to understand that there is such a thing as gigabit connections using pre-supplied equipment.

No matter how much you wish to hide behind TCP or any other protocols, you and I are being lied to about what constitutes an advertised service. This whole pretense of the equipment not being capable is nonsense, For goodness sake, take a stance against what is wrong in the world instead of making excuses. When your service goes down, you won't get any special treatment, so do the correct thing, think out of the box and decide am I really correct?

I can't agree with someone who isn't correct.

I have no affiliations with VM.

I understand the technology used, and the limitations of it.

VM don't hide the facts:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1speeds 

0 Kudos