Menu
PabloDiablo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ridiculously slow Broadband Speed after upgrade.

About 6 weeks ago, I was cold called by a virgin media person, to offer me Sky Movies, a Sim Card and an Upgrade to M500 Broadband. My contract at the time as M350 and I was easily getting 240Mb per sec + through. Since the upgrade, even though I'm spending a lot more money, my download speed hasn't peaked above 80mb per second. 6 weeks of paying for 500mb, and for most of the time I have received less than 50mb. I have tried emailing and calling Virgin technical support with no reply and no-one picking up the phones. My router has been restarted so many times, I've lost count. I've even raised all these points in an official complaint, but there has been zero response to that. I've been with virgin for over 16 years and to be honest, the drop in service level both in the download speeds, plus the ability to actually talk to someone has been astonishing. Is anyone else having similar issues? Does anyone have the first idea what I might do to get this fixed that I haven't tried already.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ridiculously slow Broadband Speed after upgrade.

What Hub is it Hub3 or Hub4?

Was it swapped or did you keep the same one after the update? If you swapped it, check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any splitters/attenuators/etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then try this - a factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers. Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
PabloDiablo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OMG John, the factory reset has actually worked!! I'm getting 546mb per sec now as I should. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ilambie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've got a similar issue.

Changed from 200mb to 500mb with the box 3 router.

I've done several resets over the last 36 hours with no joy. I've spoken to the Tech team who have re-sent settings to my router and if that doesnt work they want to send an engineer out. Not sure why, I was previously getting 200+ all i've done is change routers and now i'm getting 0.02MB on speedtest.net.

Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos