cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous Wifi speed fluctuating

bpiper1618
Joining in

The WiFi speed has been brilliant until about November of last year where for some reason in my room, the WiFi speed keeps fluctuating between about 15MBs to 6kBs.

And its not like its random, every 15 seconds it seems to switch between fast and slow.

Why? Nothing has changed with devices or my device which I'm trying to use. I can't use ethernet, no access to use it. I've updated my drivers several times.

I understand that WiFi is unpredictable but this fluctuation IS predictable. Can anyone explain this?

3 REPLIES 3

spudhead
Tuning in

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD VIRGIN MEDIA. Good news your about to get charged even more in 2022. Now have think why Sir Richard and his share holder cronies don't come under the new Government legislation regarding price fixing.   

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could use ethernet cable to test it though.

Long (20-50m) runs of Cat5e cable are less than a tenner, just get one and run it from the Hub to your room trailing it over carpet upstairs etc, just for a few hours and connect devices in that for a few hours and see if they stay stably connected whilst wifi ones "fluctuate". That will determine whether the issue is a network connection one or one due to wifi interference. When its done roll it up and put it in the "bits drawer" until needed to test again.

If its wifi only then there are lots of options for sorting that yourself - network issues need VM intervention

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bpiper1618

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post, and I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some ongoing issues with your WiFi speeds.

Are you experiencing the same issues with your connection? 

I was able to locate your account, and from running some checks on the system, I can see that your downstream power levels are currently out of spec and could be responsible for your recent poor speeds. Unfortunately, we're unable to resolve this issue remotely, and would need to arrange for a technician to attend your property. In order to have this arranged, I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details before we can have this booked in. 

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs