forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 1 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Ridiculous Upload Speeds

Hi there,

Been advised to start my own thread rather than piggy back on someone else's.

Seems a little pointless as we are all having the same issue

I have a M200 package and am currently getting around 2 mbps   upload. Totally useless. Voice calls are choppy and conference calls with video impossible.

if i were alone, i would be prepared to accept all the "helpful suggestions" given by Virgin, as they may be new ideas. Sadly they are not. So many people have been given the same advice, and i am yet to see anyone post in this forum that Virgin have fixed their problem. Very happy to be corrected, but so far i have not found a single resolution.

Furthermore i have seen that some poor unfortunate souls have been desperately hoping for salvation by posting their problems here for a very long time.

As sad as this situation is, phoning the call centre is like root canal work without the anaesthetic. Every issue is YOUR problem, not Virgin's. Its always to many devices, the wrong type of devices, alien interference (joke there), weather problems. never a Virgin issue.

Just to put into context here i am not a numpty and have done extensive testing. For example my poor badly configured phone (call centre description, not mine) can only get 2mbps upload using house wifi, when standing 50cm from hub.  The exact same phone when disconnected from Virgin but connected to BT can achieve 7mbps. Wow, how could such a miracle occur??  Disconnect from BT and reconnect to Virgin and i am back to 2mbps.

In what world does that not point to the issue being with Virgin??

My desktop is connected to the 1Gb port on the back of the router. My PC can drive the link at over 800Mbps which i can prove doing my weekly back up. ergo, the cable is good. So with this super dooper piece of ethernet, how come i can only get 2 mbps upload???

Bit difficult to claim my smart TV (which is turned off) is causing the issue!!!

Bottom line is with 28 devices connected to hub, or just one single machine (i can unplug 27 in 1 second)  the upload speed is just 2mbps.  

If what possible scenario is the problem anywhere other than with Virgin?

So i will pose the exact same questions here as i posed on the other thread

1) What do Virgin consider to be the problem? Hardware?? Software?? Physical cable from cabinet to House?? the cabinet?? Cable from cabinet to exchange which is approx. 800m away?? Equipment in the exchange?? Please can you do some root cause analysis

2) What is your planned course of action?  I have already reviewed some of your action plans for folks here and it looks like NOTHING has been achieved in 2 months?

3) When are you going to fix the ISSUE. not just mine, but everyone's, as i strongly suspect given the mountain of evidence already in the public domain, the issue lies deep within your core infrastructure.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ridiculous Upload Speeds

While there are clearly problems in certain areas, the national picture looks very stable with no real drop in upload or download speed since March.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8755-virgin-media-speeds-since-7th-march-2020

Given that things look fine nationally the most likely cause is overloaded nodes or CMTS serving particular areas. I have sympathy for those affected by slow downs on VM, it happened in my area (twice) several years ago and on both occasions it took 23 months to resolve. There are no quick fixes for these problems and you'll get many fix dates which will be missed. 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Post the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs from the hub admin pages 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 4 of 71
Flag for a moderator

CJE85.

That my friend is what i am afraid off. You have hit the nail squarely on the head.

3 months ago I had 220mbps download and 22mbs upload.

Same house, same infrastructure, same everything. However Virgin don't see it as their problem
0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 5 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I will happily supply data to Virgin should they supply me with an email address.

I have speed test data going back 3 months.

I have countless calls to call centre, each one telling me my settings are fine.

I have seen many people being asked to post the same data here, and not a single one of them has yet had a resolution. Its another time wasting red herring
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 71
Flag for a moderator

They don’t have an email for support.

You can either post the levels as advised or use the text service or call in. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 7 of 71
Flag for a moderator

As i said earlier, even with all the nice logs that people have posted, not a single person has got a satisfactory resolution, ergo its a red herring
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Not everyone’s situation is the same.

0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 9 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to point out the obvious but everyone is in an identical situation.

Slow speeds (upload and download) without a resolution.

As you love a good link Gary, please post one where someone with these issues has had their situation resolved
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Everyone? Really?

That’s a bit of a bold statement to make...

F67B59F4-4872-4638-A46C-586DEE413E93.jpeg

6DCDCEDC-FC1D-4F10-93AB-589F9427E16E.png

0 Kudos