Menu
justaninternetb
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Regular speed issues

Hi all

Why is it that my internet speed drops every evening until about midnight? I only get between 14Mbps - 20Mbps whilst during the day my speed tests show close to 200?

I get it that from time to time this may happen, but this has consistently been the case for over two weeks so it's not a problem which is going away. Unfortunately its at a time when I need it the most?

I know there is nothing wrong with the modem etc as the speed automatically recovers during the day so its definitely a slowdown caused by Virgin maybe its over subscribed? But then I wonder why I am paying for a service I am not getting.

Can anyone shed light on this please and also advise how it can be resolved?

Thank you

0 Kudos
justaninternetb
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Regular speed issues

Just to add I am in area 21

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are you measuring the speed on a pc/laptop wired directly into the Hub (in modem mode) with a Cat5e/6 cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
justaninternetb
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I take it back.

Hands up when I messed up, turns out my managed switch had some speed negotiation issues and that was causing a problem with my PC which is hard wired to it. The switch in turn connects to the hub.

Sorted the switch and hey presto all is well again.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix (fingets crossed)

0 Kudos