Menu
LucyJonesbooks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Red light and slow speeds

Hi, 

I’m new to Virgin Media, we only got set up 2 weeks ago and since then we’ve had problems. From 2nd day the red light has been on the hub and won’t go. We’ve read that this is an issue with heat so we’ve tried restarting, leaving it off for 30 mins, and turning off any nearby radiators and nothing has helped. 
The engineer fitted it on the window cill with a short lead so we can’t place it anywhere else but it doesn’t appear to be blocked by any furniture. 
We’re getting very intermittent speeds. Sometimes they’re high when we do a speed test but anywhere other than the lounge where the hub is they are around 10mbs and we can’t even stream Netflix! 
Have tried calling Virgin but can’t get through to an actual person so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light and slow speeds

Are you in Router Mode or Modem Mode ?

In Modem Mode the power light should be magenta.

In Router Mode the power light should be white.

In either Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Ensure that the Hub is in a well ventilated area and nothing is blocking the vent holes on the sides of the Hub.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is cool to touch it must be replaced.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is hot to touch it must be replaced.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @LucyJonesbooks 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your hub.

Please can you let us know the answer to the questions above, we will then be able to provide the best cause of action. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
LucyJonesbooks
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thanks for replying.

I’m in modem mode I believe. The first few days we had the hub it was magenta but it’s been red constantly since. 
it’s in a cool, unblocked area. Had it turned off all of last night and when I turned it back on today it’s still red light and warm to touch. Not even enough internet to browse the web now, I’m having to hotspot from my phone.

0 Kudos
LucyJonesbooks
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank so much for your reply! I’m making sure to turn it off at night now like you advised. 
It’s in modern mode but just a constant red light. And yes its in a well ventilated area but still warm/hot to touch. Is this going to be a safety issue? Should I turn off when we go out?
I can’t seem to get through to a human when calling so hopefully I can get it sorted through here... 

thanks again! 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If in doubt turn it off whenever you can't be close to it.

Simple test, type 192.168.100.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter. If that brings up the Hub front page, log in and go into Router Mode. If the light is red after the reboot the Hub needs replacing.

If you can't get to the Hub front page try 192.168.0.1, if that brings up the Hub front page  the Hub needs replacing.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back in touch Lucyjonesbooks, 

If it's still red and warm to touch then we'd want to take a closer look and replace it for you. 

I'm going to pop you a personal message so we can get this arranged as soon as possible. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos