Menu
SirThomas
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Recurring drops and high utilisation around midnight...

A little background - The heavy utilisation on the graph seemed to start around the time I started a VM trial a few months back (pods). That spike seems to crop up almost every night, and doesn't tally with any of my home backup tasks etc. 'Perhaps a diagnostic upload dump', I thought at the time...

The last few nights I've seen a recurrence of drops and oddities. I had drops every night (almost always at about 12:15) a couple of months back, but VM presumed it was because of my poor levels - They were bad, but weren't causing the drops as far as I could see.

Hub3 is showing a red LED (not pink as it has been in the past) - I'm in modem mode, but no idea what that means, old hub literature suggests overheating - which does not apply.

Downstream is now from 0>-2 dBmV, Upstream from 42>44.

The T3/T4's aren't great... But an 'ATOM restart'? (I'd love to know what the 'self-healing mechanism' is!)
When the connection dies, it'll sit for at least 10mins before it (might) come back with packet loss - quickly escalating into normality, or by then I've normally power-cycled. No LED status change or ping to 100.1 at that point.

I assume the Hub is dying, but onyl VM have proper TR069 access to the Hub logging 🙂
944fc9a739f6aa2cf7e0ec0b933ed5384d8cb611.png

Spoiler
Logs from yesterday after drop - Today's logs only show (1400!) T3 Timeouts on upstreams 2 thru 4:

Time Priority Description
23/05/2021 23:17 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
23/05/2021 23:16 notice NOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism
23/05/2021 23:08 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
23/05/2021 23:06 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;
23/05/2021 23:06 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 23:06 Warning! RCS Partial Service;
23/05/2021 23:06 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 02:30 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
23/05/2021 02:29 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
23/05/2021 02:23 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;
23/05/2021 02:22 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 02:22 Warning! RCS Partial Service;
23/05/2021 02:22 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
22/05/2021 15:17 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
21/05/2021 22:56 Error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;
21/05/2021 07:36 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
20/05/2021 07:20 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;

'Please Advise' 🙂
Tom

0 Kudos
SirThomas
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recurring drops and high utilisation around midnight...

Small update: There was another drop at ~1:03/1:04 - But the logs on the modem do not record this.
It has, however, reset the tx error counters...

Can supply logging (from my own routing equipment) for the period in question, if required.

Tom

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When the Hub3 is in modem mode the base light is "magenta" which does look red to many eyes in some lighting.

However the ATOM message is a bit disconcerting - I have never seen an adequate explanation of what causes that error. I will flag for VM to come and comment. In the meantime can you post up the full data set like this....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SirThomas,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you've been having a few problems with your broadband service, that BQM is very odd looking isn't it! There doesn't appear to be any known issues in the area that could be the cause, so the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit.

I'll pop you over a PM so I can take some details.

Kind regards.

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

However the ATOM message is a bit disconcerting - I have never seen an adequate explanation of what causes that error. <snip>

Yes, been Googling that one for a while.  AFAICS it's a method of restarting the kernal processes without having to reboot the Hub, when the Chipset gets overwhelmed or runs out of resources etc.  It would be less noticeable to end users than a full blown Hub reboot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SirThomas
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, so an engineer came yesterday and replaced the hub.
In his opinion the RED light is indeed meant for overheating - But clearly this isn't always the case, as my techy area of the house is never above 18' 😃
The new hub has a gloriously bright pink LED and it has been up since yesterday.

Apparently (just after) 12 midnight is indeed the time the hubs update their software/firmware - So some clarity there!

According to the engineer, other users have complained of the same (locally) and recently, as VM update hub firmware by area (who knew!) - Anyone up at this time like myself is likely to notice it and have to wait a while for it to go through. If the updates fail, it'll try again on subsequent evenings until it succeeds. As far as the high utilisation goes, that occurred again yesterday at an unusual time, but didn't cause any drops. I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes.
Post-new hubPost-new hub

Tom

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your update @SirThomas.

Glad that your new hub is working as it should be, not so good that you had some issues the other day. I have looked into your local area network and cannot see any signs of congestion that would be causing such issues.

Please do let us know how it goes over the next few days and if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos