cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently upgraded to 1gb

JamboGee92
Joining in

Hi, I'm a gamer so latency is very important to me, it was too high on 100mb so I recently upgraded to 1gb in the hope my latency would decrease, the maximum latency has decreased but the minimum is the same, and is double of most BQM's I've seen. 

Here is my BQM: 

43d5f5b8b3f49eb1b5b67b2b5661fd4103b137ee-14-04-2022.png

I'm hoping to reduce it, the green bar seems way too high?

11 REPLIES 11

@RR-IT-GUY wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

10ms sounds like they have FTTP, whereas you probably have FTTC, so copper coax from the local cabinet to your home.

20 - 30ms is about right for FTTC.

VM provide both types depending on the area you are in (They are upgrading to FTTP everywhere over the next 4 (Ish) years).

VM do not have any FTTC (Fibre to the cab) they have a hybrid coax network (FTTC or VDSL 2 is a different technology mostly used by Openreach, (copper twisted pairs), hence why it is slow at a distance, as the signal drops off). HFC (hybrid fibre coax) isn't restricted to these limitations (although it has its own, one of which is high latency and higher power consumption (topical at the moment))

FTTC with a provider lets say BT, can obtain pings of 8MS and below, I know this since I manage a FTTC line which has a ping of 9 during peek and 8MS offpeak. FTTC has considerably lower pings than HFC however comes at a cost (slower if far from the cab) all the FTTC lines i have ever used have been under 30M from the CAB so I have always had decent performance, even on copper lines that are 40 years old.

FTTP is capable of 1-3MS on speedtest.net if your in the right location, I know the lowest I have had in the past over FTTP with Orange was 1MS and the highest I ever saw was a massive 3MS.

From the same location cable was 26MS ping.

Techinically it's still fibre to the cabinet then coax to the home.

@carl_pearce wrote:

Techinically it's still fibre to the cabinet then coax to the home.

I can't say that as its technically a node in cable networks, then there are some amplifiers (usually at a street level), coax running to these amps runs back to the node.

Technically it's coax to the street or area served by the distribution point. (The distribution points often don't have enough capacity for every premises) (at least in my local area the distribution points are full) 

RRITGUY_0-1650052056177.png