Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Recently moved to Virgin, got the M500 Broadband deal. Barely reaching 80mb/s download.

As the title says, i've recently moved to Virgin & I got the m500 package.

for the last week (since moving to virgin) I've been getting speeds of no higher than 80mb/s download. 

It should be around 500! 

I've checked all the connections, made sure I am using working ethernet cables.

What else can I try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently moved to Virgin, got the M500 Broadband deal. Barely reaching 80mb/s download.

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently moved to Virgin, got the M500 Broadband deal. Barely reaching 80mb/s download.

Sorry was just trying to figure out how to do it, got it now 🙂

It says 100mbps on the wired ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your computer/laptop's network car is limited to 100 or the ethernet cable is not good enough/faulty

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, 2 x Asus AX56 MESH
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

How do I unlimit it from 100? (if that is the reason)

I could try purchasing another ethernet cable I guess to see if thats the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Go into the device settings and check the NIC settings.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Also try a new ethernet cable the old one may have failed or be an old Cat5 one that may not go above 100Mbps. Get a Cat6 one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I checked and I'm not limited there.

Maybe its a faulty ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I will try and plug a laptop into the same ethernet cable to see if its having the same issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Okay so I tried a few different things.

1. I plugged in a laptop to the same ethernet cable and got even worse speeds of around 40mb/s.

2. I unplugged the ethernet from the laptop and tested over wifi and got around 35 mb/s download.

I tried my PC again over the same ethernet cable and I am getting speeds of 10 mb/s now.

What do you think could be causing this?

0 Kudos