forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
dLockers
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Reasonable sized street all with terrible Virgin experience

Hi all,

What is the best way to get a set of isolated incidents turned into a larger problem management case? We have an entire street of terraced houses, about 0.5mile from the centre of a major city, in a very affluent part of the UK - all suffering from dreadful speeds which stems from congestion.

I have shared my ThinkBroadband monitor log previously which is still running. 

I have now, and many of us have, had to resort to 4G routers as a backup as Monday-Friday after 0930 and before 1800 it is literally unusable - as in Outlook won't connect and Teams pings will not transmit. Virgin have a monopoly over any internet greater than 10mb so almost every house subscribes to Virgin. 

Our entire street is in a WhatsApp group so we all know what one another are being told. Last week we had an incident declared as the "resolution" but on fix there was no change: ID F008733812. 

I called again today and another incident has been raised yesterday with a resolution of the 29th January. This on-going date saga and change of incident numbers is not giving much confidence that we are heading to a resolution.

I have all of the 'C' number complaint logs. We feel unheard despite each of us trying and of course the limited support a first line agent can provide, do not believe we are getting the attention we deserve. 

Please, help?

0 Kudos
dLockers
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reasonable sized street all with terrible Virgin experience

I am up to about 10 'C' numbers now, each from individuals unable to work from home.

Any guidance?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

One of the VIP's - @Andruser might like to comment on this situation.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

One of the VIP's - @Andruser might like to comment on this situation.

Now that's like handing a revolutionary a molotov cocktail and a box of matches......

In this case, there are no immediate solutions, and the options are strategic and organised (and still might fail).  I'll PM @dLockers with a range of my thoughts in the next day or two, in the meanwhile is it worth you escalating this to give VM a last chance to sort it out?  If I were VM, I really, really would sort this out, because mobs...well, they can be quite a handful.

And another promised fix date that passes with no action might make things worse.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I could have posted links to your previous thoughts 🙂

I will pass them the baton

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dLockers
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A VM Manager was supposed to give me a call to discuss, but I do not think they will be empowered to look across each of the Case Numbers to draw a more strategic conclusion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear of the experience that you're having with your services at the moment @dLockers.

I have looked into your account and can see that the new ticket has been logged under reference F008756840  and the estimated fix time at the moment is  29th Jan as you stated in your original post.

I will chase the agent that raised the complaint and promised the manager callback to get in touch with you and provide an update into the issue and your complaint.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Only two days to go before the issue is permanently fixed, that's great!  So everything below is hypothetical. 

I'm sure that's an honest date backed by a program of action to increase network capacity.  If you're less confident,  I'd suggest you start organising the neighbours, and seeing how keen they are to actually do anything.  Whilst you act as Wat Tyler, I'm sure they're happy to moan, agree but not do much (and of course, things didn't work out so well for Mr Tyler).  VM's historic handling of over-utilisation problems has not been good, and with the pressure of lockdown and school closures the problem is worse.  Obviously, if the sun rises on Saturday morning and the problem is fixed, then you will be sooo happy.

But if Saturday comes and it turns out that VM have over-promised and under-delivered you need to think about other approaches. You could individually all raise formal complaints with VM, and if/when those get fobbed off, each is individually escalated to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  That would be expensive for VM as they pay the costs of CISAS (which are not cheap), but whether your neighbours can really be bothered with that only you would be able to find out.

If you've got a good density of prospective customers, then contact a decent ISP (I'd start with Zen Internet, but Aquiss, uno, IDNet may be worth a call), and ask if they can offer a bundled Openreach "Fibre on Demand" price for the street - actually, do it in writing and copy in VM's CEO.  Embarrassing the bureaucrats of this world can be a considerable stimulus, although if that doesn't work and nothing comes from VM because the CEO happens to have his hands stuck in the hair gel pot again, and you get a priced offer from another ISP you will certainly find that suddenly your neighbours start mumbling that they don't want to pay a couple of hundred quid contribution, or they're in a nicely discounted fixed term contract with heavy exit penalties, or they don't want to lose the email address they've had for two centuries, or they'll do it next week, or they can't sign a new 12 month contract etc etc.  Things may be different if there's an alternative high speed broadband provider who might cable your street (such as toob in Southampton, Cityfibre in a range of places), although even this won't be quick.  The best route to find out what companies might be available would usually be the metropolitan or county council.

You can of course all write individually to your MP, lamenting the lack of telecoms consumer protection due to the persistently slow, weak and ineffective regulator Ofcom, the poor service from VM, and the absence of any meaningful recourse.  Or the local paper (although with both politicians and journalists you'd need to explain the detail of the problem in words of one syllable, and start off with a summary paragraph for those "hard-of-attention"). 

I'm guessing none of those options seem attractive.  What people want is a good internet service at fair monthly price that they can join when they want to, without having to write multiple letters or lay out much of a setup charge.  Unfortunately, I can't see that is on the table for your street in the immediate future unless VM really pull a rabbit out of the hat in response to suitable pressure and embarrassment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks