Menu
jcev39
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Really fed up with connection speed (M500)

I've recently moved house and was offered an upgrade to M500.  Unfortunately, apart from the day it was installed I can't get a speedtest.net result higher than over 35Mbps, it's usually down around 20Mbps and has been as low as 2! With 2 of us on work video calls, it is continually glitching which suggests these are realistic figures and I'm really getting it in the neck from my wife!!

Whilst I'm fairly tech savvy, I'm really not up to speed with the technical requirements of Wifi networks etc. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

As suggested I've attached copies of the download, upload and network logs below.Downstream.jpgNetwork.jpgUpstream.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really fed up with connection speed (M500)

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jcev39
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Following your instructions I got 347 Mbps down, 37 up.  Connection speed 1000.  What's weird is that immediately after I used the same app on my phone and got 17.6 Mbps down and 27.3 up (approx 1m from the router).

I'm now stumped!  Can't run network cables throughout the house (well I could but that wouldn't make me popular) so need the speed via wifi...

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You need to get a Gigabit enabled Wi-Fi Router or a Mesh system to give you better Wi-Fi coverage.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Please post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Live Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

0 Kudos
jcev39
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Isn't the Virgin router Gigabit enabled?  Seems a bit odd if it isn't!

I'll look into the suggestions though. Many thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jcev39 wrote:

You need to check the 'Connected Devices' section to see what speed your phone is connected at.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jcev39 wrote:

Yes it is, so anything that attaches to it also needs to be Gigabit capable.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Deleted.

0 Kudos
jcev39
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As requested the Thinkbroadband quality graphs link thinkbroadband broadband monitoring quality 

0 Kudos