Menu
Spratch69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Real Support

How can I actually speak to or book an engineer to check my hub? 

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Real Support

Hub checks are done remotely from calling in, we can see the Hub stats including temperature. If there's any issue with it, it reports it. A Tech will only apply if there's an issue identified by the system such as out of spec levels.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
Spratch69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I finally managed to get through to a real person on the phone to customer services!  I had connected laptop and router by an ethernet cable and she went through an intensive routine of checking everything. Re-booting the hub; pin hole re-setting; modem mode etc all interspersed with  me making frequent speed tests on Ookla.  My original speed was around 30Mbs - not good for a 200Mb bundle and over the course of our 90 minute phone call there were numerous more speed tests - once up to 94Mbs but mostly about40-50.  Her conclusion was that something is amiss (no surprise there!) so she's going to send me a new ethernet cable to try for s few days with frequent speed tests. Then I'm to phone again with the results and they'll decide the next step which may be a new hub or an engineer's visit or both!   I'm most impressed!

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Spratch.  Thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Please keep us updated on how things go and also if you need us to look into things from here for you?

Kind regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Wolfclaw
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"I'm most impressed!" .. I smell sarcasm, which went over the head of Lee_R, I'm not surprised !
0 Kudos
Spratch69
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm still awaiting the supercable from Virgin and in the meanwhile I'm doing Ookla speed tests.

So far today (Thursday) I've recorded download speeds of:  [9am] - with cable - 36 -- by wifi - 19

[11am] - with cable - 29 -- by wifi - 32

[3pm] - with cable - 18 -- by wifi - 32

[9pm] - with cable - 14 -- by wifi - 21

I may do another check at midnight if I'm getting a signal by then!

Spratch69

0 Kudos
Spratch69
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well guys, I carried on testing!

On Friday throughout the day I checked 5 times and had cable download speeds of between 14 and 36.(wifi similar)

Yesterday, 5 tests with cable download speeds between 7 and 28  (wifi similar)

Today, 3 tests before mid-day, speeds between 8 and 26  (wifi similar)

Then this afternoon I decided to re-download the SG TCP Optimiser which I had had before Virgin Customer Services started doing their online checks and I decided to remove it.

I downloaded their latest version and set their 'max download allowed' slider to it's limit of 100+.(which I had set before) and selected 'Optimal' settings. Then I went to the Ookla speed test site and there was a popup from Microsoft saying download the OOkla speed test to my desktop, which I did and pinned it to my task bar.

Finally at 2pm I ran the speed tests again -----    with cable - 201 - and with wifi - 205 !

and then again at 3pm           with cable - 220 - and with wifi - 189

Amazing!

0 Kudos
GFR
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Spratch69,

I am reading your comment:

Then this afternoon I decided to re-download the SG TCP Optimiser which I had had before Virgin Customer Services started doing their online checks and I decided to remove it.
I downloaded their latest version and set their 'max download allowed' slider to it's limit of 100+.(which I had set before) and selected 'Optimal' settings.

I am intrigued: can you give me some more detail on how you have achieved this? Is there any tool to download (their latest version )? Is it something from Virgin?

Thank you,

GFR

0 Kudos
Spratch69
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi GFR,

To get the SG TCP Optimiser go to SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads and select the first download. It's totally free and you can pin it to your task bar if you like.

Make sure you run it as administrator if you want it to make changes.  

In fact there is a video on You Tube by major gooks that shows how to use it, I found this by searching for the Organiser on Edge.

YouTube · 52,000+ views  · 16/03/2016  · by majorgeeks

It's not anything from Virgin and has been around quite a while.

Today I've had download speeds between  217  and  226  , I'm happy  with that!

Have fun

Spratch69