Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
378 Views
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Reading 1GB Fibre - slow speeds?

So I upgraded this week to the new Gig1 service.   Received the router in the post and the process was easy enough.

Problem is that I am not seeing 1GBps speeds.    The SamKnows router test is showing 1085, but this speed is not being seen on normal speedtests.

I have tried just to run the router in Modem mode connected by Ethernet to just one laptop (with Gigabyte adaptor) and getting max up to 450mb.   WIFI also maxs out at same source of level.

Virgin did send an engineer round, he said there was nothing wrong with the line, and that it was because the 1GB was being shared around all the devices.   I pointed out that in this test case there was just one device using the bandwidth, so this would not be the case.

I rang back in and spoke to 2nd level support who were going to put a trace on the router for a couple of days to monitor it's performance.

So question is should I be seeing such a drop off in speed and what can I do about it.   Is it possible that the router is faulty?    I have seen speed tests online over 900mb.

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 4.86K
  • 895
  • 1.29K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
371 Views
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reading 1GB Fibre - slow speeds?

Hello

Due to the limitation of Gigabit Ethernet the max you will ever see is around the 940 mbps, in this case I would wait for the 2nd line to get back, a lot of the speedtest sites can vary when you are on the 1gbps service, the only reliable speedtest for that is the samknows.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 23
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
323 Views
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reading 1GB Fibre - slow speeds?

I had been having a similar issue - WiFi speed test on a tablet I was getting 400 to 500mb but on a wired pc test I was only getting at most 100mb.

turns out for me it was a windows setting (that I had turned off years ago as a suggested fix for some other internet issue)

receive window auto tuning level

NB it’s the reverse of the following that worked for me  - setting it back to normal

  • Press Win + X > choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  • And in the window type, the command netsh interface tcp show global.
  • Now check for Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level and if it is normal, try to disable it.
 

 

  • And to disable it type the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
 

 

Now check whether the adjustment improve internet speed on Windows 10 or not.

But if not then re-enable it by typing netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal in Command Prompt (Admin).

0 Kudos
Reply