0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 22 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deteriorating Broadband speeds

@andrewglass3 wrote:

Ive already confirmed this

When ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Page 1

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator

A lot has happened since then !!

All you had to do was confirm that it was totally unloaded.

Do you have another device that you can do another ethernet connection test with ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To rule out big sur I tried on the work macbook running catalina, now getting constant speeds of 944 down 52 up. Well I feel like a right plonker - sorry all and thank you for your help.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@andrewglass3 wrote:

To rule out big sur I tried on the work macbook running catalina, now getting constant speeds of 944 down 52 up. Well I feel like a right plonker - sorry all and thank you for your help.

I don't speak Mac (like many others on here I suspect), so had to do some googling on "big sur" and "catalina".  Sounds like Apple are as good as Microsoft at messing things up with new OS releases.  I hate Windows 10 and often think the grass might be greener with a Mac, but maybe not. 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Yes very disappointed, I’d have tested on my Linux laptop but that’s limited to 100mbps as don’t have a USB type A  Ethernet adapter that’s faster. It’s old. Least we’ve figured it out . 🙂

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Oooohhh that's worrying! My software update keeps reminding me that Big Sur is ready for you ! I had already decided to hold off for a few months to let a few updates come through.

I am off to the uk Mac newsgroup (remember them!?) to ask the guru's on there if anyone else has seen this.  I suspect they will blame the USBc adapters 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Yeah - tore my home network apart in the process.....

Same usb c adapter on Catalina with latest supplemental updates:-----

andrewglass3_0-1605458206194.png

Something definately not up to scratch with the usb ethernet drivers on Big Sur, side effect of re-writing Mac OS for dual architecture?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Opinion from the Mac-lads in the newsgroup is this....

No, its more likely related to writing the USB Ethernet drivers using DriverKit. Though I thought that'd happened in Catalina.

Which I am not sure I follow as I don't know what DriverKit is/does - but it makes sense that the adapter drivers might not be compatible in BigSur.

Is the USBc-RJ45 an "official" Apple one. If not can you borrow one to try - I have noticed recently that some of my long Anker leads for my iPhones/iPads have stopped working to charge them after an OS upgrade recently. Bought an Apple one and of course it's fine !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos