Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deteriorating Broadband speeds

Morning

Can you investigate line speeds here in Leeds please? I normally get 945mbps down 52 mbps up. However since Saturday afternoon I have been lucky to get 100. I thought I would leave it overnight and test again, 66 mbps down. I do still get 50 mbps up. Please can you have a look at this please? I am using cabled ethernet for my connection to the hub 4. Ive also tested in modem mode with my computer direct to the modem, same speeds.

There is a booster/amplifier inline on my setup that was installed a few years ago by an engineer on a visit. Not sure if this is needed or a potential source of issue?

andrewglass3_0-1605423421436.png

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy

I have moved your post to a separate thread as your issue is unlikely to be related to the thread you posted on unless you are a neighbour of Hastas.  Separate threads for individual issues make it easier for everyone and avoid confusion.

Have you checked Service Status to see if anything is reported for your area there?
https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

What results do you get from the speed test built into the Hub 4 here? http://www.samknows.com/realspeed

The hub needs to be in router mode to run this test, but it should show the speed being delivered to the hub and the speed to your device.  This test is useful to determine if the line speed is slow or the slow down is on the LAN side.

If you want VM to investigate then you might have a long wait on here as the forum is very busy and it is taking several days for staff to get to threads.  You might be quicker calling VM.  If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response, but it may take a day or two at present. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425... 

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

What does the below test say?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for moving this post to be more visible.

Unfortunately due to working from home today I cannot move to the hub 4 again to run samknows.  I have ran speedtests with multiple providers on speedtest.net, Ive used the iperf3 based ovh.net and they all show the same speeds when directly connected from laptop to the hub in modem mode, when in hub4 router mode, same if I use my spare edgerouter 4 and modem mode or I use my main pfsense box and modem mode. Something has changed either the hub or external to my house.

Yesterday morning I was receiving 944mbps down and 50 to 52mbps up. After 1pm yesterday it dropped to current speeds

andrewglass3_0-1605443150691.png

I think Ill give virgin tech support a call however its painful when you get level 1 helpdesk

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Ok

So I took your advice - the problem isnt outside the house its the hub4

andrewglass3_0-1605444018008.png

When I run this test I am direct with cat 6 to the virgin hub 4 swtich port with the router in router mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Appears like its your setup is causing the issue
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@andrewglass3 wrote:

Ok

So I took your advice - the problem isnt outside the house its the hub4

andrewglass3_0-1605444018008.png

When I run this test I am direct with cat 6 to the virgin hub 4 swtich port with the router in router mode.

Are any other devices connected to the Hub Wi-Fi or ethernet ?

To get accurate results the Hub must be totally 'unloaded'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

My setup?

HUB4 switch port >> 1000mbps usb-c ethernet adapter > macbook pro 2020

Tried multiple usb c ethernet adapters - different speeds everytime

Not sure how thats my setup?

I suspect this is the hub

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Yes complete unloaded just me using it. Nothing else connected

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos