Menu
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Radio and on demand buffering - latency too high?

With a relatively new Superhub 3, I'm getting slow internet performance when working from home, browsing sites etc. Also radio streaming buffers frequently for short periods, and my TV box On Demand (which is served over WiFi) buffers.

I've done a BQM for a few days, and a typical day looks like this:

BQM Graph 28 Jan 2021 

This is doing normal web activity - just browsing sites, no high volume upload/download, and streaming radio on one device.

Hardly any packet loss, but latency seems high to me.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Radio and on demand buffering - latency too high?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Stadia-connection-not-stable/m-p/4589835#M64987

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So the crux of the problem is Virgin's infrastructure being overloaded, and nothing I can do about it?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In a nutshell, yes.  

If the poor latency is ruining your life (not been sarcastic, for some people it is) then one option would be to investigate getting in a 35 Mbps Openreach line on a twelve month contract at around £25 a month, if you can get that connected quickly, and keep the VM connection on?  But if the VM problem is caused by Covid, it should self resolve when some semblance of normal schooling and working returns, which makes your decision complicated.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jglavery
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK - thanks.

Useful advice.

In general it's acceptable, so I'll just have to live with it. If it gets worse, then I'll switch.

0 Kudos