Menu
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Question regarding a wireless speed test on my virgin hub 3

Good morning. 

I've got two questions regarding wireless speed tests on my Virgin Media hub 3. 

1. Myself and my partner both have Huawei mobile phones. If I run a speed test on the popular Ookla speed test app I get around 100 MB download but my partner gets around 230. Is there any reason for that? Do different devices show different speeds or is this a Internet issue?

2. As I said in my previous question the highest we get on the speed test is around the 230 mark. We are paying for 350mb. When I carry out a download on my playstation 4 (which is attached to the router via a cat 6 ethernet cable) my downloads go up at a maximum of 44mb per second which works out at around the 350 mark. So surely that shows I'm getting the correct speed to the router but isn't 230 on wireless to my partners phone a little slow? I'm just wondering how it works to get a better understanding of it. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question regarding a wireless speed test on my virgin hub 3

Hi Nick

1. Yes different device can show different speeds as not all devices have the same wireless receivers inside.  Also wireless speed can be impacted by environmental factors beyond your control, even if close to the hub.  Are both phones the same model of Huawei?  Are they both connecting to the 5GHz band?

2. The PS4's internal speed test is unreliable and last time I checked (5 minutes ago) it displayed speeds in Megabits per second not Megabytes per second.  My PS4 never shows the full speed of my connection but my wired PC does.  230Mbps on a wireless device is pretty good.  Most of my wireless devices can't get above 200Mbps with the exception of my Samsung Galaxy S10e which can reach 350Mbps on my connection.

To get a true indication of the speed your connection you need an Ethernet connected PC or Mac with a Gigabit NIC.

Speed tests won't necessarily reflect the performance you get with normal usage as they use multiple threads to saturate the bandwidth and most applications will not use multiple threads.  Web browsing, gaming and even streaming 4k video do not need M350 to perform normally.

Are you regularly downloading large files with a download manager that can use multiple threads to make use of all your bandwidth?

Are you regularly streaming to lots of devices simultaneously (10+)?  Netflix say that only 25Mbps is required for UHD/4k streaming.

Do you want the higher upload speed that comes with the M350 tier?

If the answer to all of the questions above is no then maybe M350 is not worth it for you.

Personally I do like the faster upload speed I get with M350 and I can take full advantage of the download speed on a single Ethernet connected device with the right software.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Alot tech talk there for me that I simply don't understand  whats the difference between bits and bytes? If I watch my downloads and my ps4 downloads at a maximum of 44 per second what speed does that mean my console Is receiving? I notice it doesn't go above 44 per second 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This should help

https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs 

350Mbps is nearly 44MB/Sec.

Wireless devices use different hardware, even from the same brand, which is probably why the phones are seeing different speeds.

Most devices aren't capable of 350Mbps, and even if they are there are many variables to take into consideration:

• Distance from HUB.
  • Interference from other wireless networks.
  • Wall thickness between rooms.

A wired device will get consistent speeds since... it's a wire! Nothing to interfere with the signal.

If you access your HUB on http://192.168.0.1, enter the password on the base (NOT the network key), and access the 'Connected Devices' section on the left you will see what each device is connected at.

This gives a rough idea on the speed each device is connected at.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@NickWba20 wrote:

Alot tech talk there for me that I simply don't understand  whats the difference between bits and bytes? If I watch my downloads and my ps4 downloads at a maximum of 44 per second what speed does that mean my console Is receiving? I notice it doesn't go above 44 per second 

Now I'm confused.  If you don't know the difference between bits and bytes you did a good job of equating 44 Megabytes to around 350 Megabits in your post, which if is roughly equivalent, as Carl has pointed out.

The Sony speed test in the PS4 displays speeds in Megabits which is the same measurement VM use to advertise their speeds. So if the PS4 was to use all of your connection it should shows speeds of 350Mbps in the speed test, but it never does.  This is because of Sony not VM and why I said in my previous post the PS4 speed test is unreliable (all consoles are).  For example my PS4 speed test usually shows around 100Mbps but my PC speed test usually shows over 350Mbps.  When I download games and patches on my PS4 I get up to around 180Mbps download speeds.  On my PC I can download software at over 350Mbps.  There are a few speed test web sites that work in the PS4's limited web browser and will show much higher speeds than the Sony test, but I have never seen them go as high as my PC tests.

If you could advise which bits you did or didn't understand I'll try to be less techy.

@Anonymous wrote:

This should help

https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs 

350Mbps is nearly 44MB/Sec.

Thanks for that link @Anonymous, saves me a lot of typing.

A wired device will get consistent speeds since... it's a wire! Nothing to interfere with the signal.

Unless it is a wired PS4 using Sony's speed test, the results of which can vary wildly from minute to minute. 😀

If you access your HUB on http://192.168.0.1, enter the password on the base (NOT the network key), and access the 'Connected Devices' section on the left you will see what each device is connected at.

This gives a rough idea on the speed each device is connected at.

I believe that speed is the link speed and real world speeds will be less than that, but as you say a rough idea.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos