Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Problems with HTTP download speeds

Right, just joined virgin and have encountered quite a lot of problems... 

manage to fix most of them myself but this one has stumped me.  I have right now 200mbs pack and for most part works well.

I am using my windows 10 pc connected via cat 6 ethernet cable straight in to the hub 3 .

The problem I seem to be having is downloading and web browsing speeds. 

If you look below I have made 3 screen shots of different speeds that I have. All within 1 minute of each other. The top one is downloading a file from microsoft at 2.5mbs and I have tried multiple websites, nvidia, intel ect and the max I can achieve using chrome, internet explorer and firefox is 2.5mbs...  I am on a 200mb line .... So the 2nd screen shot I have is a screenshot of my net speed using chrome web browser. showing a 98 mbs line and the 3rd screen shot is using the actual speed test app which actually shows my true download speed. So if  I use steam or battle.net to download I can actually achieve a decent speed 20 mbs+ but if I try and download ANYTHING on my web browser directly from the internet it goes extremely slow to 2.5mbs. It seems  the modem/router has slowed my HTTP connection. anyway to fix this?downloading via browser.JPGbrowser speed test.JPGApp cap.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with HTTP download speeds

I have done a little more  problem testing to see if its my pc or a virgin problem... definitely a problem with either the router/modem or the server. 

I currently still have sky broadband going and was able to connect back to my router via ethernet cable and run the same test. The sky broadband is set at 40Mb line, i get roughly around 30MBs  and virgin I "should" be set at 200MB. The results I have put at the bottom. You can clearly see that virgin has me limited @ 16 mbs while my much slower Sky has me near 30mbs. So it cant be my pc as both test would have me at the same. 

Virgin Speed testVirgin Speed testSky speed testSky speed test

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with HTTP download speeds

Since we know your equipment is working, the most likely cause is a fault with your VM cable configuration or the physical connection.  Check that the VM cables are all properly connected and any screw fittings are finger tight.  As first step in resolving that, connect to the VM hub, don't log in, click on "check router status" and paste the contents of the tabs marked Downstream, Upstream, and Network Log here.  We (either VM forum staff, or the unpaid amateurs like me) can take a look, and take it from there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos