cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Broadband speed

jirnodhar
Joining in

So I'm signed up to 100mbp/s fibre optic with Virgin.... for the first few months everything was good but for the past month my service has been erratic to say the least.

With a wired connection every time I've tested the speed it has been fine, however I can't run a wired connection to my xbox (only wireless) and the problems are unendless

I have two channels, a normal one and a 5g one. On the normal one my speed will fluctuate between 5 mbps and 25 mbps. However on the 5g one the speed rarely is above 6mbps. On top of that, ping on the normal channel is between 20 and 110 (literally it bounces up and down whilst gaming) and on the 5g channel I've had ping as high as 1400 (!!)

When I run a test on the super hub (diagnostics on the 192 url) it tells me my home network is experiencing a problem and it has a red exclamation mark next to "broadband services", however having been on the phone to Virgin customer support they have told me as my wired connection is fine they are not sending out an engineer and all they can suggest is to "monitor my wireless Internet speeds over the coming weeks"

Seeing as Virgin basically didn't help at all I thought I would turn to reddit! Is it possible for me to fix my Internet so I can get back to gaming on my xbox? It literally is unplayable with this wireless and Virgin seem adamant to not do anything. Any advice or help would be so greatfully appreciated!

Oh and thanks for reading this!!

2 REPLIES 2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Gaming is always best on a wired connection because it avoids the delays and dropouts that happen over WiFi.  The 5GHz band will give better performance over the 2.4GHz band, providing there is a strong WiFi signal, but at a distance or behind obstructions the signal drops out more rapidly.

If it's really not possible to run an ethernet cable then you will need to provide your own more efficient WiFi device connected to the Hub, and there are many to choose from. Or you could use a pair of devices that send the signal over the mains power supply. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jirnodhar

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having WiFi issues at this time. I am not able to look at our systems to see if any issues are affecting you at this time due the the lack of information. Could you please provide some further information and checks so we can look into this further.

Firstly, please try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request.

If you are still having issues after this please try setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a link to your live graph. 
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum
Once we have this extra information we will be able to offer you the further support you need! 

If you could also post your Hub status and logs after you have rebooted and waiting a few hours for the data to collect. Here are steps on how to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)

• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley