Menu
FabrinRodriguez
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Problems with Broadband speed?

So I'm signed up to 100mbp/s fibre optic with Virgin.... for the first few months everything was good but for the past month my service has been erratic to say the least.

With a wired connection every time I've tested the speed it has been fine, however I can't run a wired connection to my xbox (only wireless) and the problems are unendless

I have two channels, a normal one and a 5g one. On the normal one my speed will fluctuate between 5 mbps and 25 mbps. However on the 5g one the speed rarely is above 6mbps. On top of that, ping on the normal channel is between 20 and 110 (literally it bounces up and down whilst gaming) and on the 5g channel I've had ping as high as 1400 (!!)

When I run a test on the super hub (diagnostics on the 192 url) it tells me my home network is experiencing a problem and it has a red exclamation mark next to "broadband services", however having been on the phone to Virgin customer support they have told me as my wired connection is fine they are not sending out an engineer and all they can suggest is to "monitor my wireless Internet speeds over the coming weeks"

Seeing as Virgin basically didn't help at all I thought I would turn to reddit! Is it possible for me to fix my Internet so I can get back to gaming on my xbox? It literally is unplayable with this wireless and Virgin seem adamant to not do anything. Any advice or help would be so greatfully appreciated!

Oh and thanks for reading this!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with Broadband speed?

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos