Menu
jonnyapps
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Price increase justification

Could someone explain the justification for increasing the price of my service without providing me any benefits to the increase? 

Any other service either justifies a price hike with new performance or content or the price goes down over time - like a mobile phone contract where delivering X gigabytes of data becomes cheaper as infrastructure improves over time.

Virgin seem to be doing the opposite? I've been a customer for many years, have had the same broadband speed the whole time, yet have to pay more each year, seemingly to help Virgin expand their network and reach new customers.

It seems I'm paying Virgin to increase their profits?

In 2 years my bill has gone from £48 to what will now be £57 a month for the same service*

*difficult to confirm as the system only shows 1 year of bills and so I'm going on old emails.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase justification

It is called inflation.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

This is why people have a choice of ISP's and just jump ship once their contact is up or sooner if they are not within contract. You will always find it cheaper elsewhere but might not get the speeds you are looking for which Virgin do indeed offer 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

If you have been a customer for several years but not had any upgrades during that time you are probably stuck on an old package and might be able to upgrade to a better deal. A phone call to retentions is definitely worth a try, but you are best calling as early as possible (they open at 8am) to avoid long queues. 

0 Kudos
jonnyapps
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'm out of contract. Had a 1 year contract that ended in September. I'll give them a ring.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Speak to Retentions on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1- 1 - 4 - 4 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 08:00 until 21:00 BUT calling early between 08.00-10.00  midweek is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre with staff more informed and helpful. They seem to have the power of God over other departments and can offer very good deals.

Look at new customer deals and what you actually want and push for it, if you can't get anything decent you always have the option to go elsewhere.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
jonnyapps
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Great advice, thank you.

I'm currently queueing for retention after going via upgrades. Was offered £57 for 500mbps (up from my 356). Pointed out it was £44.99 for new customers and I could just cancel as I'm out of contract and set up as a new customer... Been in the queue a while so might just try again tomorrow as you suggest.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@jonnyapps wrote:

Pointed out it was £44.99 for new customers and I could just cancel as I'm out of contract and set up as a new customer

no you couldn't

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jonnyapps
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@jonnyapps wrote:

Pointed out it was £44.99 for new customers and I could just cancel as I'm out of contract and set up as a new customer

no you couldn't

In my wife's name.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@jonnyapps wrote:

@spgray wrote:

@jonnyapps wrote:

no you couldn't

In my wife's name.

you think they are *that* stupid?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos