Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Powerline speed problem

So i have the 500mb broadband. Wifi speeds next to router are around 480 so im happy. All computers are upstairs so i used my existing powerline plugs to get internet to them. Speed tests were 40mbs. I was using Develo Dlan 500 wifi for this. Thinking i need to upgrade the powerlines i but Develo magic ones with 2400mbps advertised ( yeah i know im never getting this but its the fastest they do.

Anyway I connect the 3 powerlines and the speed is up to 60-80 mbs compared to the 500 ones. I download from steam and i get 19mbs which is 190 in speed test i suppose.

Question is why am i not getting full speed through these plugs ?

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline speed problem

Hi,

You wont get full speed through powerline plugs, they are reliant on the quality of your electric wiring/consumer unit. My suggestion would be to either run network cables and install access points or purchase a mesh system which tend to run much faster than powerlines but like them don't need any cables.

Thanks, Chris  

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Also make sure that all of the power lines are plugged into a mains wall socket and not any form of extension lead or adapter as this will also lessen the ability to receive better speeds.

Regards,

Christian

If I've helped in any way please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

The powerlines are not the problem. ive ran them with sky for 10 years + and got as close to maximum speed at all times. Doing the exact same with virgin only using newer faster plugs I thought i would get much faster speeds but nothing near what i should get.

0 Kudos