Menu
Originlabs
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Post RS Errors + Packet Loss

Hi,

I've recently started experiencing intermittent connection issues, where the upload speed will almost halt (at 0.01Mbps), and basic ping test will show 20-40% packet loss.  This normally occurs for up to 30 minutes, but last month became continuous and made the connection unusable.

An engineer did visit last month, and replaced all the connections on the wall outside the property, and fitted a new connection point inside.  This seemed to resolve the issue for a while, but it's now started occurring again.

Looking at the modulation of the upstream channels, this has dropped from 64qam down to 32/16qam over the past week.

UpstreamUpstream

DownstreamDownstream

Downstream ErrorsDownstream Errors

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Post RS Errors + Packet Loss

Hello

Your upstream power levels are right on the maximum, you are going to need an engineer to resolve that.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon, 

A very warm welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. 

Apologies for the delay in response.  

How are things looking since your first reached out? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Originlabs
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

Unfortunately the upload speed hasn't gotten any better (if anything its getting worse), to the point where working from home is becoming difficult:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10085597251

Should I just call to report a fault?

Kind regards,

Matthew

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Originlabs wrote:

Hi Zak,

Unfortunately the upload speed hasn't gotten any better (if anything its getting worse), to the point where working from home is becoming difficult:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10085597251

Should I just call to report a fault?

Kind regards,

Matthew

As Mike has already stated, the Upstream Power is too high and will need an engineer to fix.  Also there is a lot of noise on the circuit, as shown by the huge PostRS error count, and the fact one Upstream has dropped to 16 QAM to try and cope with this noise. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Originlabs
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

I set one up a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/efe3c366ae184798db26225d66cb95e409...

I've just tried calling support, but couldn't get past the automated line "we've tested your connection, and you need to reboot your hub.  If you're still having issues, please check our online support options". 😩

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Your >> BQM << is showing dropped packets even though the latency isn't anything out of the ordinary.

At the top of the next hour can you do a reboot using this exact method please. This will put a time stamp on your BQM and also hopefully put your Pre & Post RS Errors back to zero. In an ideal world they will stay at zero so keep an eye on them ...

Switch the Hub off for 5 minutes using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then check the error count.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Originlabs

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the delayed reply.

I've checked and no issues are showing. I do hope everything has been resolved, please let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Originlabs
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Unfortunately I'm still seeing upload speeds drop to near zero (< 1Mbps) at various times during the day.

The Pre RS and Post RS errors are still increasing, and Upstream Power (dBmV) is still at 5.1, which a previous commenter said was the maximum and required an engineer to resolve.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos