Menu
KHill
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds despite upgrade

At the start of January we noticed that our bandwidth was dropping out like clockwork and tired of Virgin’s inability to solve this problem previously we took the decision to upgrade to 500MB so we could continue to work from home. Since this time we have not once had anywhere close to our promised speeds and often get less than your guaranteed minimum of 250MB.

The dropouts have mostly stopped although yesterday while streaming from Prime my device errored that there was not enough bandwidth available to watch the video. 

There are 2 adults and 1 child in our house and there is no way we are maxing out. We purchased a half GB connection to avoid these problems and I’m lucky if we get 200MB.

I’m tired of trying to get support on the phone (your agents just hang up) and aren’t technical enough to deal with this.

we need a proper troubleshooting plan or a conversation about our contract.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speeds despite upgrade

@KHill wrote:

At the start of January we noticed that our bandwidth was dropping out like clockwork and tired of Virgin’s inability to solve this problem previously we took the decision to upgrade to 500MB so we could continue to work from home. Since this time we have not once had anywhere close to our promised speeds and often get less than your guaranteed minimum of 250MB.

The dropouts have mostly stopped although yesterday while streaming from Prime my device errored that there was not enough bandwidth available to watch the video. 

There are 2 adults and 1 child in our house and there is no way we are maxing out. We purchased a half GB connection to avoid these problems and I’m lucky if we get 200MB.

I’m tired of trying to get support on the phone (your agents just hang up) and aren’t technical enough to deal with this.

we need a proper troubleshooting plan or a conversation about our contract.

Upgrading doesn't help as you are asking more from an already troublesome connection!

Create a BQM and post a live link. This shows the line quality over a period of time.

0 Kudos
KHill
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. The upgrade was unfortunately essential due to 2 adults working from home and now home schooling a 10 year old. Virgin haven’t resolved the problem and I’d rather deal with contention/throttling etc whilst still actually being able to work. It sucks we are paying more for the pleasure but we’ve already had an engineer out who couldn’t find any problems. I have asked virgin for a proper troubleshooting plan but understand they don’t actually keep any logging so not sure where we go from here. I’ve been posting speeds on social media but once again, nobody taking it seriously.

thanks for the monitor link. I’ve been running continuous tests and hubby is a programmer with a raspberry pi about to be used as a continuous monitor. We can see there’s a problem. We just need virgin to take it seriously.

0 Kudos
KHill
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Performance today particularly appalling- down to 27MB. Intermittent drop outs all morning. Just tested the speeds (wired) and have massive inconsistencies.

C550E94B-0EA7-4646-895B-B54D80F7BF3C.jpeg

0 Kudos