Menu
WhyWhyWhy1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Poor broadband service - slow speeds

When I complained that my broadband signal was consistently well below the guaranteed minimum (54Mbps) I was assured that it would be monitored for 30 days, and if it fell below for three successive days then I would be informed and action would be taken.  The representative was keen that she should register a complaint with OFCOM on my behalf.

After several days of poor signal, I rang back, but was told because I had complained to OFCOM they couldn't address my problem for 30 days.  I was told that a manager would ring me about this, but didn't.

I continue to suffer poor service but subsequent calls have had the same outcome.  Are Virgin hiding behind OFCOM complaints to avoid sorting out customers complaints?  Has anyone else had this experience?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor broadband service

Once you open a complaint with Ofcom, Virgin are obliged to step back from any correspondence with yourself until the complaints conclusion. This is proper procedure 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
WhyWhyWhy1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I understand that but I didn't open a complaint with Ofcom, Virgin did all be it on my behalf.  In fact it was the first thing I was asked after they had told me that they would monitor my service and correct it if the problem continued.  They did not tell me that by opening a complaint they then could not do exactly what they told me they were going to do.  It therefore seems that Virgin are avoiding sorting out speed problems by encouraging customers to complain to Ofcom, indeed, filing a complaint themselves on behalf of the customer.  

Here I am two weeks later getting a sporadic and inadequate service, and being told Virgin are unable to do anything about it because they filed an Ofcom complaint on my behalf.  I can't imagine Ofcom are remotely interested in my problem, and may well just add me to the statistics in connection with what I believe is a voluntary code of practice.  Once again the customer is unable to do anything to get the service they are paying for.

Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi WhyWhyWhy1,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with slow broadband speeds.

Just to reiterate what conman33158 has already said, if a complaint is with OFCOM, we wouldn't be able to correspond with you regarding the complaint until the complaint has been resolved. This is part of our Code of Practice.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
WhyWhyWhy1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes I knew this as I was told by the Virgin representative. 

I'm just interested to know how many other customers have been told that Virgin will not address inadequate service because of an Ofcom complaint which they kindly instigated on behalf of the customer, without warning them that if they did so them the monitoring and action which had just been outlined would be invalidated as a consequence?  

How is this helpful to customers who have fundamental problems with the service provided?  How is this meeting the standards of customer service which Virgin claim to provide?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Were there any tests or investigation into WHY the speeds were so low?  That would be the usual first step before an official complaint, because it could well get a quicker resolution.

0 Kudos
WhyWhyWhy1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I was told at the outset that Virgin would monitor the speeds for 30 days, and take action if they fell below the minimum for three successive days.  When I rang after five days to say my own test showed speeds well below the minimum and enquired what their own tests showed, I was told that Virgin could not discuss this due to the Ofcom complaint, so I don't know whether Virgin are monitoring my speed or not.  Hence my belief that Virgin are using Ofcom to avoid dealing with inadequate service.  

If I'm wrong, then someone from Virgin needs to explain how the actions they have taken are in my best interest, because I am simply not getting a functional broadband service and it seems Virgin are doing nothing to correct this.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm staggered by what I'm reading here.

It's not VM's job to open complaints on behalf of customers with third parties, more so when it seems the company have done stuff all to actually fix a (simple?) connection fault.  Ofcom don't even handle individual complaints, they merely count them and issue a report on the numbers six months out of date.  So if VM are waiting for a complaint response from Ofcom before dealing with the underlying matter, then they may as well be waiting for Godot, because it won't ever arrive.  And finally, if there is a complaint, it needs to be processed by VM within the existing Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, and only if the outcome is not to the customer's satisfaction should it (indeed can it) be escalated, and then not to Ofcom, but to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  And absent a deadlock letter from VM to the customer, CISAS can't accept a complaint unless it was formally submitted to VM eight weeks previously.

It strikes me as more than possible that there's some confusion about the facts of the matter here, and the relevant handling of service problems, complaints and escalation, but as things stand this is a mess.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I think you should ignore what you were told as it sounds more like one person wanting to get rid of a problem rather than an official policy of Virgin Media. 

If you want to get your broadband sorted so that you get what you are paying for, please tell us how it shows up. There is a lot of knowledge on this user forum. What speeds did you measure, what devices did you use and were they connected by WiFi or ethernet? 

0 Kudos
WhyWhyWhy1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure that it isn't Virgin written policy, but I have had the same answer from three different Virgin staff. 

I have the standard Virgin router 3.0 which I understand lacks performance in many areas, and my contract is for the M100 service, and I use the WiFi connection. I measure the speeds I'm getting using the Ookla speed test, and get download speeds usually between 3Mbps and 20Mbps, next to the router.  I usually lose the connection 2/3 times a day and re-boot the router each time. 

Perhaps you understand my frustration?

0 Kudos