Menu
Roadliner20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Poor broadband and buffering on TV

My broadband has been for some time.  I have my desktop hard wired which is fine but if I try to use it on the laptop or phone is often tells me there is no connection so I then have to run a diagnostics check then it tries to connect.  This afternoon I joined a Zoom meeting in the dining room (my desktop doesn't have a camera) but the other members kept freezing on the screen so I went into the lounge where the router is. Although it was better it wasn't perfect and there was often a delay in speaking or receiving the other members.

It often depends on where I am in the house.  My daughter lives with me and she often has the same problem and trying to watch she frequently gets buffering.

This is another problem I have with the TV.  I have had the box since 2015 so it quite old technology now so I'd expected an updated TIVO box by now.  Sometimes when I am trying to watch an ordinary programme it freezes briefly and when I am watching one I'm doing on catch up, it reverts to the actual progamme time.  Some films also buffer.

I have tried a test and also phoned up and your auto attendant said they would do a test too.  I have also tried to find out my speed but what has come back is not what I'm getting.  There may be fibre optic in the street (it is owned by Open Reach) but it is normal cable from the street to my home.  There is also a join in the cable in a junction box under the window that was put in by Virgin Media about five years ago.

I'm very disappointed and am considering changing back to Sky if my issues cannot be resolved so perhaps someone could visit rather than having to deal with an auto-attendant who clearly cannot discuss my problems.

Please advise.  Thank you

James Smith Account No. [MOD EDIT: Removed]

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor broadband and buffering on TV

Have you tried a factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

Also, if you're suffering from poor wifi you would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed. I know it's a case of having to spend money that you shouldn't have to, but it really is worth it and gives you a better all round internet experience.

You can also try this. Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices with come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Roadliner20
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor broadband and buffering on TV

Many thanks for your reply but most of it goes over my head.  I'm not a teccy person and whilst I understand much what you say some is confusing, to me at least!  I can't understand the bit about buying a third party router as if I'm a customer then surely VM should provide that, not for me to buy one?  I have a friend who is more au fait about this stuff so I'll ask his opinion.

I had issue with BT many years ago when I was their customer.  Open Reach operate from a building about half a mile away from me where all their server equipment is.  I was having problems with the internet dropping off but they couldn't find the problem but then it transpired that an expensive component part need replacing but, whilst this and the cabling in the street belongs to OR, neither they not BT would sanction the cost (I was tipped of by an OR employee about what was going on) so in the end I changed provider but as they were using the same OR cabling it didn't make any difference.

But now we have fibre optic in the street I think a change of provider now would ensure that someone came to check that everything was ok from the street to the house which VM just won't do, everything has to be remote which doesn't help me in the slightest.  I've asked this question before but still no visit so I've struggled on until yesterday when the Zoom meeting I had was awful, and there were only five of us participating.

0 Kudos