Menu
geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Poor Upload Speed on 500mbps package

I have recently been regraded to the home 500mbps package.

The download speed regularly reaches 530mbps on an ethernet connection, which is great.

However, the upload speed, which was 37mbps on my lower speed package rarely approaches 30 and for much of the day is around 17-18.  

When I was offered a regrade I was told the upload speed would likely increase and would certainly not decrease to this level.  This is way outside what was promised and seems to be in breach and as such qualifies as a fault.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Upload Speed on 500mbps package

Hi geoffrogers,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you aren't getting the upload speed you expect, how are you doing a speedtest is it wired or wireless?

which router do you have? If its a hub 3.0 then it is speedtest.net if it is the hub 4.0 its Sam knows.

We advise when doing a speed check use a wired device preferably with a gigabit network card using a cat 6 or above Ethernet cable.

I have tried to check things our end however wasn't able to to locate a account so haven't been able to do any further checks.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

It's a hub 3.0

I did a speedtest using speedtest.net just now and got the following:

Ping: 8ms

Down: 539.97 mbps

Up: 16.84 mbps

Using wired ethernet as I always do for important applications

The advertised speed is 500/37mbps.

Last night, in the early hours it was around 520/36.  So it seems to me to be a capacity rather than technical problem in my router,

My previous speed (Voom 350) nearly always resulted in an upload speed of 37 +/- 4 mbps.  Upload speed is crucial to me as I move a lot of audio files in both directions.

This needs sorting asap please.

I am in KT12

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and update, geoffrogers,

Sorry to hear this is ongoing. I've run a remote diagnostics which has indicated that your services are currently impacted by a local fault in the area ref'F008772529. Our engineering  team is working on getting this sorted with an ETA fix time of 15 FEB 2021 09:00. Apologies again.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi and thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You're welcome, geoffrogers.

0 Kudos
geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good morning

There is still an issue with a poor upload speed.

Over the weekend the upload was very close to 37mbps.

Now, it's a disappointing 19-20.

According to a reply to this post, there was an issue in the area which was going to be sorted by 0900 today. 

It doesn't seem to have been.

Upload speed is crucial to what I do, and it's way out of what was promised.

Please can this be escalated.

0 Kudos
geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is still no resolution to this issue.  Upload speed from a wired ethernet connection remains a poor 15/18 mbps.

It does improve overnights and hits 34-37 which is fine.

This makes me think it's some kind of capacity issue somewhere on the local network.

How can this be resolved as apparently it seems hard to get a response online and I don't really have the time to be hanging on the phone repeating the problem to someone over and over again for the best part of an hour.

Suggestions please?

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Most of these upload capacity problems will be down the current lockdown and the big increase in video conferencing, working from home, home schooling etc. Things might improve slightly when schools go back (expected to be 8th March).

Fix dates for congestion related problems are never met and in normal circumstances they can go on for many months, but in the current situation the problems will reduce/go away entirely as things start returning to normal, that is likely to be much sooner than a VM fix.

geoffrogers
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I only ask as I was previously on Voom350 and the upload speed remained at 37 or close to for most of the day.  It seems regrading the download to 500+ has adversely affected the upload speed at this time.  I was assured that this would not happen and if anything the upload speed would actually increase.

Up to around 5 or 6 mbps loss is fine but cutting in half isn't really.

Any more avenues to explore?

0 Kudos