Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Poor Speed and poor signal

I signed a 200 mbs contract about 10 months,what you give me the speed? The speed test about 20mbs, you said that the min speed average 108mbs, but I just get 20 mbs.

Besides, I can’t access my WiFi in the bathroom and second floor, the signal is very poor!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Speed and poor signal

Are you testing on ethernet cable connected devices ? - VM dont guarantee speeds over wifi. Poor wifi signal in the bathroom may be a different issue.

So firstly, if you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that) and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected).
Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

First connect your laptop/pc directly to your superhub and do a speed test(speedtest.net is the best and very reliable),you should get your speed or very close to what your paying for,if you are getting your speed i would recommend you using virgin media as a modem and turn off wifi,i have been a customer since they where blueyonder many years ago.I had the same issue for years and found superhub 3 (which im using at the moment)has a very poor range and signal when using for broadcasting your wifi,i recently bought a wifi mesh system which i admit is fairly expensive but is absolutely worth every penny,like you i had alot of deadspots in my property through thich brick walls,now i have full wifi and full speed in every inch of my house and it is superb,all you have to do is use your virgin media hub as a modem only,if you want more details about mesh system give me a shout and i will help solve all your issues and you will be amazed how different your online world could be,first make sure your getting your speeds hard wired from your hub,hope this helps!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If like this, I will cancel my broadbands, thanks you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you done anything that has been suggested?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos