Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Poor Speed Performance 350MB

For the past 2 days I have been experiencing very slow speeds intermittently.  Video conferencing is poor, streaming is poor and downloads grind to a halt momentarily before springing back to life for several minutes before going again.  I have rebooted the modem and this has not helped.  I have used the online service checker test and it states that there is an issue but doesn't say what or where that issue may be.  I cannot contact Virgin and their website just seems to take you round and round in circles.  This coupled with sound issues with the V6 Tivo and intermittent issues where some channels are not displaying correctly or losing sound on my second V6 box is driving me crazy.  It shouldn't do...but it is when we are so heavily reliant on Broadband and TV services in this lockdown.  

I have called the faults line but owing to Coronavirus the Call Centre is closed and I am directed back to the faults website where once again I am back in a loop.

This is not how I expect a company of this size to act in a crisis in all honesty but I guess we can't have everything.  How can I get this resolved?

I have 3 months left on my 12 month contract and I am loathed to pay for a service that I am not happy with.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Speed Performance 350MB

I'm also on 350MB there is some nationwide speed throttling going on by the looks of this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

there is no throttling in place

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you point to where Virgin explicitly states there is no throttling?  My service seems to have come back to life now, although my TV is still problematic.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am inclined to agree with you here
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My speeds are incredibly slow today too, I'm barely getting speeds of 3 mbps which is quite frankly appalling.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-broadband-traffic-management-policy

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax - Thanks. That isn't to say that they are not doing throttling on the service now that more people are on the Internet owing to working from home, but it is good to see that generally they do not throttle.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

slow downs due to usage are not throttling. VM do not throttle the connection. But the service is contended.
No isp was ever designed to run every user at the same time.
You can get guaranteed bandwidth using lease lines but they are not cheap

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just read the below on VM's site. If it applies to you you might be able to claim compensation - 

"Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed:

The guarantee applies to new customers that buy new broadband services, or existing customers that change their broadband service or re contract their existing broadband service on or after 28th February 2019. The guaranteed download speed is 50% of the advertised speed of our service on the date that you placed the order and is set out in the speeds table we send you. You need to keep your Virgin Media Hub plugged in, switched on and set to enable us to obtain speed information from it, which will help us to diagnose any problems.  The minimum download speed guarantee does not apply to outages. If you experience an outage which affects your broadband services please contact us.

What does the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed mean?

If the actual download speed provided from our network to your Virgin Media Hub falls below the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed, and this happens for 3 consecutive days or more (whether continuously or intermittently during each day), and we are unable to fix the problem within 30 days of you reporting the problem to us, you may have the right to end your agreement without paying an Early Disconnection Fee.  You need to contact us if you have a speed problem via the contact us page (click here).

How do I end my agreement?

Section N of the Terms and Conditions explains generally how you can end your agreement.  If we do not provide the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed as set out above (i.e. we have not remedied the speed problem within 30 days of your notifying us or we cannot address the problem) then we will offer you the opportunity to end your agreement immediately, without the payment of an Early Disconnection Fee.   In exceptional circumstances (for example where you cancel engineer visits or miss appointments) we may extend the 30 days but we will always discuss this with you beforehand"

0 Kudos