Menu
andychell
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Poor Download Speeds

Hi all, this is my first post on here, so apologies if it's not in the right place.

We've recently changed from EE to Vivid 350 and for the first hour all was fine. Then speeds slowed right down to about 80Mbps. Our friends in India told me that an Engineer was in my street 'right now' replacing cables as there was a fault (they weren't!). Then he told me to reset the router, which did nothing. Eventually after registering a formal complaint an Engineer came out and did something to split the router to 5g and 2g so we could choose. This got the speed up to over 350 Mbps - for the first hour, then it dropped back to about 90 Mbps. He said we needed to do a hard reset, which I did, which lost the 5g and 2g, so we're back to where we were. Our Indian bods said that I needed to hard wire everything direct to the router, which seemed to be a problem to them when i asked how to hard wire an iPhone direct to the router. Since then, speeds vary between 0.02 Mbps (yes, really!) and 110 Mbps. A formal complaint again resulted in a phone call from the India 'technical' crew who said that the download is as good as its going to get and there's nothing more they can do unless I hard wire everything. They refused to send an Engineer out to fix the problem. Yes another formal complaint was lodged and I was promised a phone call within 48 hours - 5 days ago.  Is this appalling Customer Service normal for Virgin? Can anybody help me try and get the download speeds fixed please? There are times when I can't even open the BBC News app on my iPad as the images won't load. Netflix, YouTube are pretty much no go areas for me now as the buffering is awful. Many thanks for your help, apologies for the long post.

0 Kudos
miaas2011
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Download Speeds

Hi,

Have you attached a computer via ethernet to see if it's just a wifi issue? The Virgin supplied hub is best of put in modem mode and a separate router used.

0 Kudos
andychell
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, no I've not done that. I have been told that the router supplied by Virgin is not particularly good, so maybe that is the issue, maybe I need to replace the router?

We only tend to use devices connected by wifi but I will connect my MacBook to the router with ethernet and see what the speeds are. 

Thanks for this.

0 Kudos
miaas2011
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No problem.

Yes try connecting something with ethernet and take it from there, then at least you'll know if it's a wifi or internet issue.

You can't replace the router per se, you need to put it in modem mode (it's a modem/router) and then attach another router to it, but before you go there, try the ethernet route first so you definitely know what the issue is before spending money.

0 Kudos
andychell
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, on ethernet it's at 380 Mbps, pretty good really. But sat directly by the router on wifi, back down to around 90 Mbps, so it does look as though it's the wifi that the culprit.

OK, so do I need to buy a modem and a router separately please? Any suggestions as to the best ones to get please?

0 Kudos
andychell
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've just looked again on Virgin community and I misunderstood your point, sorry. If I understand correctly, I keep the Virgin hub and configure it to modem - no idea how to do that but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Then I buy a decent router and plug it in via ethernet to the Virgin hub. Is that correct please?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's correct.

And switching to modem mode is very simple. 

0 Kudos
andychell
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Really appreciate your help, thank you.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If money is tight, you could buy an Access Point which is cheaper than a router  You would then leave the Hub in router mode and just turn off its WiFi.

But personally I prefer to use as little of the VM Hub as possible.

0 Kudos
andychell
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. I've just spotted another thread on this forum about mesh networking and I'm considering that route at the moment. The BT system seems to tick most boxes for me.

0 Kudos