Menu
mikeg5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor Broadband and So-called Improved Wlfl?

Just had an email advising that my WiFi has been "improved". How is it improved? The email didn't explain.

Some time ago I was told that my broadband speed had been upgraded to 100 Mbps, previously it was 75 Mbps. Except on a couple of rare occasions 100 Mbps has not been achieved, in fact at best its 50 Mbps or less. I seem to be paying top price for a first rate service and am only getting third rate performance. Is this common treatment from VM these days?

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Broadband and So-called Improved Wlfl?

You appear to be under the belief that your speed will be 100% guaranteed via WiFi, this is definitely not the case. You can occasionally get the full speed however the only way to really "consistently" get the full speed, or close to, would be using a third paty router or WiFi mesh system. Speeds that you are sold are directly only to your Hub and "can be impacted by things like your use of WiFi, your equipment, internal wiring, peak time congestion and the number of people accessing a particular website." - The quote is a direct line from the Broadband Speedcode that is read at point of sale alongside the email sent out ~7 days after taking said package. Your minimum is 54Mb to the Hub itself, if there are any doubts you can connect up a Cat5E or Cat6E/7 cable to a laptop/desktop with a capable 1Gbp/s ethernet connection, you can find that out by simply Googling one of two things; "Check speed of ethernet adapter" or by typing in the device name into Google and finding the specifications; an example would be "Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop specs" we can find from Acers Website and places like Amazon etc that it has a Gigabit Ethernet Port which means it can exceed speeds up to 940Mbp/s. Area faults can play a factor in poor speeds too.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
mikeg5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very odd! Under the previous arrangement, ie. 75 Mbps it always produced 75Mbps within a very few percent, never varied. Why is this now not the case with supposed 100Mbps. Also why, on very rare occasions has it produced 100 Mbps with absolutely no change in my setup. I get the impression  that you are trying to blind me with science. The point is I used to pay for 75 Mbps and got 75 Mbps, now I'm paying for 100 Mbps and am only getting 50 Mbps or less. I suspect some dubious practice. My question concerning "improved" WiFi remains.

0 Kudos
mikeg5
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why has this message been notified to me again, over a week after it was first sent? It seems that VM is not only rubbish at providing communications but also at organising this forum.

0 Kudos