cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please sir, I want some more

Timwilky
Fibre optic

Firstly, this isn't a complaint, all my devices are getting the advertised speeds according to the limitations of the individual technologies, Those on my 10Gb&Wifi 6 networks are getting a solid 1150Mb internet connectivity.5f2261f9-0ef0-450b-a3c7-04154e4c9e3a

But a miserable 52Mb upload.I use cloud storage for collaboration and backup and it crawls. When I signed up to Telewest 20 years ago I got a 10:1 download/upload ratio. Any chance that VM will revert back any time soon?

Additionally I paid Telewest a one off fee for a second IP. Any chance of that returning as well?

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky
9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Trials last year involved a 10:1 ratio with faster upstream, so it might yet happen, but don't hold your breath - running a well resourced, carefully planned and heavily monitored trial in a small area is very different to a national roll out, and I suspect that getting 200 Mbps upstream is more taxing for VM's network than hitting 2.2 Gig downstream.  There's been muttering about full duplex DOCSIS (same speeds up and down) but that is even more of a leap in technology.  With a stated commitment to move to XGS-PON, we'll undoubtedly see 2.2 Gbps down in the next few years over DOCSIS, we might see 200 up, but it would be very surprising if VM were to move to full duplex DOCSIS immediately before a planned network conversion to (one assumes) replace the ageing technology of cable. 

@Andrew-G wrote:

There's been muttering about full duplex DOCSIS (same speeds up and down) but that is even more of a leap in technology.

Comcast is now testing 4.0/FDX in the lab - powered by Broadcom, so it's going forward. 🙂

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Of course it is!  Cablelabs who set the standards for DOCSIS* are owned by big US cable networks and technology vendors, and all are hell bent on keeping the rickety house of cards that is DOCSIS in use.  For the networks, why incur the additional expense of upgrading to a modern technology when they've rigged the US regulatory system to ensure there's no competition?  For the vendors, why throw away a profitable and relatively closed business model when the cable companies are happy?  Full duplex is certainly coming to some cable customers, but probably not VM customers.  I'd also note that if it's in the labs now, that's a good five years or more until there's large scale field deployment.  By way of comparator, DOCSIS 3.1 as a standard was completed in 2013, and VM have only just completed the network roll out.  

VM's justification for XGS-PON is explicitly that PON is a better technology, and the extra costs versus an alternative DOCSIS 4.0 roll out were not significant compared to the advantages.   And on that timescale VM are saying they want the PON (not including droplinks) finished by 2028 - seems economic madness to upgrade the legacy network to FD 4.0 (complete with new CPE, and probably network plant) at the same time as you're building out its replacement.  Profitability has never been a VM strong point, they won't have the cash for D 4.0 and PON, and in terms of profitability they can't afford to depreciate two lots of network technology.

* I know that @gitty understands about Cablelabs, I'm stating it for any other readers.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM have a QoS/BWM upstream problem as it is that cause ping spikes so no you can't have more.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP's BQM seems to say otherwise.

OP: a bit more, maybe, if you can wait a while. Should see the technical changes needed starting to happen early this year.

There will definitely not be major upgrades to the cable network, it's being overbuilt with full fibre. 

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP's BQM seems to say otherwise.

And thats only because others are in the area are not uploading to cause a spike, But I guess you have seen other BQM that are worse I guess you think thats not down to a upstream either?😏 

Give it time and VM not putting more capacity it will happen.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's true that VM(O2) don't see DOCSIS 4.0 in their future, but coax is not a dead technology (yet), so it still makes sense for a lot of operators to do the upgrade. Liberty Global is planning to do so in other countries.

At present I am stuck with VM. No FttP. The small road I live on is split between 2 exchanges at the extreme end of both. The local exchange 500yds away was shutdown in the late 60s.

I get lots of unsolicited offers of superfast/ultrafast and other fibre being installed in my area. Which when checked become 3Mb with  1Mb upload FttC or no plans to install in my area. So VM is currently the best of a very bad lot.

Trust me the first to offer me >100Mb upload will get my signature on a contract.

But more should also include multiple  static IP addresses. Dual stack IPv4 / IPv6 etc.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

I understand you want more, but I can confidently say there's many VM customers would kill to get a BQM as good as your connection.