Menu
Ros1ep
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Please Help - unsettled speeds after Hub 4 installed

How long does one give a hub 4, with a Volt 1Gig package, to settle down?

I ask because my hub 4 was installed, by a VM engineer, on 16th February. Appreciate few obtain advertised speeds. At the moment I am receiving 500/620mbps download, and 50/52mbps upload. Except in my kitchen, where I like to watch sport/streaming, on my iPad Pro. There I am receiving 60, yes 60, mbps, and 20-30mbps upload. Relatively short distance from the hub 4, to my dining room, and very short distance from dining room, to kitchen. Don’t understand, to be frank.

Even have the dreaded buffering, in the kitchen. I’ve tested my set up, using VM tools, and one tool says there are no issues, at this postcode, whereas another VM tool says there appears to be issues, at this postcode, and to return for an update, in 24 hours, which is 3/4 hours hence.

Still appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Please Help - unsettled speeds after Hub 4 installed

@Ros1ep wrote:

How long does one give a hub 4, with a Volt 1Gig package, to settle down?

I ask because my hub 4 was installed, by a VM engineer, on 16th February. Appreciate few obtain advertised speeds. At the moment I am receiving 500/620mbps download, and 50/52mbps upload. Except in my kitchen, where I like to watch sport/streaming, on my iPad Pro. There I am receiving 60, yes 60, mbps, and 20-30mbps upload. Relatively short distance from the hub 4, to my dining room, and very short distance from dining room, to kitchen. Don’t understand, to be frank.

Even have the dreaded buffering, in the kitchen. I’ve tested my set up, using VM tools, and one tool says there are no issues, at this postcode, whereas another VM tool says there appears to be issues, at this postcode, and to return for an update, in 24 hours, which is 3/4 hours hence.

Still appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

There is no settling in time.

It works at the expected speeds, or doesn't, from the time of install.

First thing to do is check what this site returns:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

If you are getting full speed to the HUB then you could be limited by the wireless devices in use, or even the HUB itself (600 - 650Mbps is around the max you will see with Wi-Fi 5, that the HUB 4 uses).

It might be worth splitting the SSID (Network name) into two, one for the 5Ghz, and one for the slower, but greater distance, 2.4Ghz bands. The HUB is supposed to 'smartly' shift devices between the bands depending on distance from the HUB, signal strength, etc. however sometimes it shifts to 2.4Ghz more often than expected.

What speeds do you get on wired devices?

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please Help - unsettled speeds after Hub 4 installed

Hi @Ros1ep

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Are you able to run a wired speed test for me? I'd like to see what speeds you're getting via this.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ros1ep
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Volt 1Gig speeds.

Hi.

As per, ignore my ignorance, and my harping on about the same issue.

SamSays, and SpeedTest, both confirm I have 1Gig coming to the Hub 4. For most of my home, speeds, both download, and upload, are acceptable. Hub 4 was installed by a VM engineer. I understand the issue of my iPhone XR not being as good as more recent iPhones, speed wise. The hub 4 is split. I do have a lot of smart home devices, hence why I upgraded to Volt 1Gig package.

I have removed all unused apps from my iPad Pro. Having done all of that, watching television, on my IPad Pro, in my kitchen, the speeds vary between 15/60mbps download. I have not tried a wired connection, as that is never going to happen. I even get the dreaded buffering. I have taken all advice kindly offered, when last posting this issue, with no change.

I cannot directly contact the VM staff member, on this platform, who assisted with a previous issue, as it constitutes an unsolicited approach, apparently. Shame, because she was excellent, and I feel sure she could assist. 

In short, I understand one can get boosters, for want of a better phrase, with having the Volt 1Gig package. Is there a VM staff member, viewing this question, on this platform, who can assist with how I go about this, please? 

Thsnk you, in anticipation. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Volt 1Gig speeds.

You are entitled to a maximum of 3 Pods to be supplied on the 1GB package.   You will get an initial Pod to use. 

Either phone in and request, or wait here a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Ros1ep Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Ros1ep,

Thank you for your response. I am very sorry to hear that you're not receiving the right speeds on your WiFi devices at the moment.

I was able to run some checks on our systems, and I can see that your Hub's uptime is over 20 days. Would you be able to reboot your Hub to see if this helps with your speeds and connection?

Please do this and let us know how you get on. You can also take a look at our Connect App to see if there are any blackspots in your home and if the app suggests you order some WiFi Pods as @Adduxi suggested.

Keep us updated on how you get on, so we can help further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Ros1ep
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Rebooted the Hub 4 several times. I thought the app, to which you refer, was incompatible with the Hub 4? I certainly couldn’t get the app to work, and a previous comment highlighted the apps incompatibility with the Hub 4. Please clarify. 

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My apologies @Ros1ep

The Hub4 isn't compatible with our Connect app, how have your speeds been since posting?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Ros1ep
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Whilst under the impression that one gets a consistent speed, throughout one’s property, from the date of installation, it would appear that my iPad Pro, sited in my kitchen, was a tad slow in catching up.

No idea how, or indeed why, but I am now receiving speeds commensurate with my 1Gig package, on my iPad Pro, in my kitchen, which is what I was after.

To that end, I think we can now consider the topic closed, and thank you to all who have assisted. 

Anthony. 

0 Kudos