Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ping times to router very high in modem mode.

I currently have a Synology Router sat behind my Hub 3 in modem mode. Recently I've notived a large amount of disruption on video calls - and ping times have sporadically spiked at +500ms ping a know good source EG 1.1.1.1

Whilst troubleshooting this I put the Hub3 back into router mode and discovered three things

1) In modem mode pinging the hub shows the same high ping times so pinging 192.168.100.1 was returining +300ms ping times.

2) In Router mode pininging the hub at 192.168.2.1 the ping times were a much more normal 2ms

3) In router mode the external IP address gets assigned differently (but predictably) to when in modem mode.

Anyone any idea of what is going on here?

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping times to router very high in modem mode.

The LAN IP of the Hub in Router Mode is 192.168.0.1 - try that.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Edit 

Other posts on here hint at something else, maybe a firmware issue in the hub?

Edit

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.

My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Ricksters wrote:

I currently have a Synology Router sat behind my Hub 3 in modem mode. Recently I've notived a large amount of disruption on video calls - and ping times have sporadically spiked at +500ms ping a know good source EG 1.1.1.1

Whilst troubleshooting this I put the Hub3 back into router mode and discovered three things

1) In modem mode pinging the hub shows the same high ping times so pinging 192.168.100.1 was returining +300ms ping times.

2) In Router mode pininging the hub at 192.168.2.1 the ping times were a much more normal 2ms

3) In router mode the external IP address gets assigned differently (but predictably) to when in modem mode.

Anyone any idea of what is going on here?

Rick

It's normal to get a different IP address in router mode compared to modem mode, as you present a different MAC address to the Virgin network, so you get a different IP address. If you change back, and your DHCP lease hasn't expired, you'll get the old address again.

I wouldn't worry too much about ping response at the moment, and focus more on the usability of the connection. How are video calls in router mode? We should also see your line stats too - there could be more than one issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Video / IP calls are fine in router mode. If I switch back to modem mode (with the high ping times) I get a similar degradation in quality of video / IP calls.

"We should also see your line stats too"

On the router status page I see numerous tabs. Which page do you want to see?

Rick

0 Kudos