Menu
Hurmish
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ping on FTTP

Hi, I have Recently had my Virgin Media services installed, 1 month ago they finished laying the Fibre cables in my street. I have FTTP or at least what I think is FTTP with a BOOSTRAL box on the outside of the house with a fibre going into it.

Getting into the issues. I have been getting hitty missy ping over the last few days, certainly not what you would expect from a FTTP connection talking 40-50ms in most games, where as my second line which is a EE VDSL connection at 80/20 gets about 15-25ms in these same titles. Also pinged google which on Virgin came back with about 30ms and again on EE VDSL it is around 12ms.

I run my hub in modem only mode because well it's a hub 3 and to put it lightly it sucks.

I called Virgin media support today but they advised that my area has a fault with power/fibre signalling however I find that hard to believe, the network is new round here. Also when I check for faults on my Virgin account, it doesn't come back with any faults.

Was this advisor lying to me? he also advised that the network in my area (Seaham, County Durham) is DOCIS 3.1 compliant but it has not been switched on yet. My broadband package is the M600 package, but they have limited me to M500 because of the so called faults in the area, I just felt so confused talking to the guy.

Any ideas? or ways to put my mind at ease about this "FTTP" service which does not feel like an FTTP service. Also was this advisor lying?

Regards,

Conor

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping on FTTP

That's DOCSIS 3.0 for you!

DOCSIS 3.1 is supposed to be much better for latency.

Regardless if you have a known fault in the area that probably won't help either.

0 Kudos
Hurmish
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping on FTTP

Well that's the thing, the guy on the phone said the area had a fault, the network where I live is new so surely you'd think they would test it before it goes live!

However when I asked for a way to get updates on the fault he said he logged a ticket and I would get a text message about the ticket, but I haven't received anything. I mean what even is Power/Fibre problems, he couldn't give me any solid information about this. Not to mention I am supposed to get M600 and I have been limited to M500 because of this so called fault. 

Also when I run a test on my Virgin media account which is supposed to check the line, and find faults in my area, it comes back saying my line is "working" and there are "No faults in my area" just doesn't make sense to me.

0 Kudos