cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for 500mbs but getting 275mbs

RyanWZRD
Joining in

Hi all

No urgency on this as I appreciate I have only just had my broadband speed increased, the new package is now showing online and activation date has passed and I am now paying for 500mbs but only receiving maximum 275mbs.

I have no router just the modem provided by Virgin and was eligble for the upgrade so obviously able to receive these speeds, any idea what could be the issue?

The only thing that sticks in mind, was over a year ago when it was intially installed, the engineer had to go to the green box in the street and turn the power down as what was coming into my house was "too much" I don't know anything about this, but I feel I should eliminate this as might not even have anything to do with the speeds?!

Any suggestions at all? Thank you!

Ryan

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Try this test ...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.
The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

Just getting this on that, might have to try it later? Thank you

"RealSpeed can’t connect to your router right now

We have lost connection to the measurement software inside your router.

Try again a bit later."

Angus6339
Tuning in

@RyanWZRD wrote: UTSA Blackboard

Hi all

No urgency on this as I appreciate I have only just had my broadband speed increased, the new package is now showing online and activation date has passed and I am now paying for 500mbs but only receiving maximum 275mbs.

I have no router just the modem provided by Virgin and was eligble for the upgrade so obviously able to receive these speeds, any idea what could be the issue?

The only thing that sticks in mind, was over a year ago when it was intially installed, the engineer had to go to the green box in the street and turn the power down as what was coming into my house was "too much" I don't know anything about this, but I feel I should eliminate this as might not even have anything to do with the speeds?!

Any suggestions at all? Thank you!

Ryan

You can test the speed using a wired connection directly to the modem to ensure it's not a Wi-Fi-related problem. And check power cycle your modem by unplugging it for a few minutes and then plugging it back in. This can often resolve speed issues.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See my reply to a similar issue here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-problems/td-p/5411200

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey RyanWZRS, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I have looked at the this from my side and everything is looking great your levels are very healthy.

How has it been and has any of the advice helped at all? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?