Menu
burckett
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Paying for 350 but not getting it

Since i installed HUB 4.0 my download speed has dropped down to 8Mbps, on HUB 3.0 it was consistent 350 + Mbps. I have ran through the diagnostics on the website and with a chap on the phone who sort of had no idea what was going on. Nothing was solved, after reset i receive 350Mbps for the first ten minutes then it drops back down to anything between 8 - 20 Mbps. Any help would be appreciated as it has been nearly two weeks of me being ripped of by Virgin again. Maybe my next bill should be £1.20 instead of the £45 you will take? but  i'm sure that's a problem you would resolve fairly quick. After the phone call yesterday with your employee who sounded like he was in a bunker 5000 miles away told me these results are "perfectly fine" i nearly lost hope but today is a new day and i have faith someone can actually help me get what i pay for.

i was told to use samknows .com /realspeed/ , the results are .

Speed to Virgin Media HUB 4 - Download 11.1 Mbps

Speed to Computer - Download 14.1 Mbps

I use cat 6 provided with Hub 4 and have already experienced consistent high speeds with the older model. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for 350 but not getting it

Hub 4 knowledge is in very short supply here, so I can't comment, but I've flagged your post for the forum staff since they'd need to be involved getting this fixed.  Luckily they're helpful and UK based, rather than unhelpful and 5,000 mile distant bunker-based.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello burckett,

I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment with the speed after upgrading to the Hub 4. If you can follow the above advise and post your logs here that will help us. In the meantime I've had a look at your details and cannot find any issues with it and can confirm that everything is well within range. I've looked at your speed test and have ran one myself also to check the speeds and I get 222.63 Mbps download and upload 36.33 Mbps. I've checked for utilisation and other network type errors such as FEC errors but everything looks fine.

Can I ask what your connection is and what devices you're using? If you can disable the WiFi network and have no other devices using the wired connection and perform more speedtest on Samknows at several times of the day and post the results here it will help too.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
burckett
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes everything has been checked several times mate, Clicking ‘Check Router Status’ gives me nothing, waited and tried a few times it gives me no information. 

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
burckett
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm using a home desktop with a cat 6 Ethernet cable.

Untitled2.png

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks burckett. I've had a look at your speed test results and can see several test over 200Mbps but I can also see the odd very slow results such as the one you posted. They do seem erratic and at odd times.   I've gone over the details again and there is something popping up that was minor yesterday but showing it's worse now. It's a type of unfixed error on the network which may need to be checked out as it's gone bigger than when I looked yesterday and it may explain your speed issue.

As it looks like it's on the network, I've had another at the network and there may be some utilisation issues that may or may not be related to the error but I've sent a form off to our Networks Team to take a look. If they find something, they may raise a local area fault which we may see in 48 hours but if there's nothing, then we'll need to look further as to what else may be the issue.

Please give them time to take a look 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
burckett
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Any news? my internet is still completely broke 

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi burckett,

I've had a look and I can see there has been an area congestion issue raised, the estimated fix date for this is 10th August.

Once this has been resolved any slow/ intermittent speeds you're experiencing will be resolved.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
burckett
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply Alex your efforts bring me hope

0 Kudos