Menu
User108759
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Pathetic wi fi speed with S/H 4.

Here we go................

SamKnows speed test WITH Cat 5 cable.....506 download to SH4.

542 speed to computer...........PERFECT!!!!

Right.......unplug Cat 5 cable.....SamKnows speed test via wifi.......510 download to SH4.

167 speed to computer......PANTS!!! Computer is less than 3 feet away from SH4!

Wife is currently struggling to work from home as a call centre operative due to calls being dropped and garbled. Wifes laptop is downstairs.

Whats going on, spent 1hr on the 'phone, to be told you need a new SH4, after being put through to second line support!....new SH4 arrives, fitted gives the above results, so it wasn't  the SH4(probably!)

Wifi card is 1Gb capable.

In need of help here..............cos I am not spending another hour on the 'phone to get another naff SH4.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why I appear bright, until you hear me speak! 🙂
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pathetic wi fi speed with S/H 4.

What is your contracted speed ?

To get you out of the immediate pickle how about connecting the PC to the Hub with a Cat 5E / 6 ethernet cable  ?

A 2m cable will be ideal.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wife is currently struggling to work from home as a call centre operative due to calls being dropped and garbled. Wifes laptop is downstairs.

Even high quality voice and video only needs about 5 Mbps, so if calls are distorted or dropped, then your problem is most likely - by a high margin- to be packet loss and/or high latency.  In turn, packet loss and high latency are unlikely to be a wifi fault, and almost certain to be a broadband cable fault.  Wifi can be slow, signals can drop off in some parts of a property, but it is far more fault tolerant than most people assume.  The issue about wifi speeds is probably separate from the poor connection quality.

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, let that run for 24 hours and see what that shows regarding your cable connection.  In terms of your wireless speeds, go into the hub settings, and make sure that the 5 GHz settings for channel width are set to the maximum (I think that'll be 20/40/80 MHz).  If it's set to 20 MHz then fast wifi devices will be bottlenecked, and the wifi speeds you report would be expected. 

You could post your hub status data here, and we could look for obvious faults, but as VM won't explain what the parameters are and what the log entries mean, the VM community members will be grasping at straws and will only be able to spot the most obvious of faults.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

User108759
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ Andruser .....   Just set up the BQM (I hope!).

Into router.........5Ghz set to 20/40/80.

Will see what tomorrow brings on the BQM side.

ATB

Light travels faster than sound, this is why I appear bright, until you hear me speak! 🙂
0 Kudos
User108759
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BQM.......

2be.png

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What's the 'Link Speed' shown on the laptop?

0 Kudos
User108759
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Haven't checked that yet, but will do so as soon as possible.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
User108759
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Anyways...... BQM picture....

2be.png

Wifey on laptop between 12 and 8pm!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BQM image could be rejected due to showing IP address.

You need to post the 'live' link.

Did you check what I mentioned above?

0 Kudos
User108759
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Haven't had a chance yet carl_pearce, but will do probably monday now.

Just to compound the problem, here's 2 SamKnows speed tests......

Cat5:- 20201010_002807.jpg

WiFi:- 20201010_002612.jpg

Summats not right in the state of Denmark!🤔

0 Kudos