Menu
Lakes_guy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss

I’m getting a lot of packet loss on my broadband.  It’s fine for a while but then goes up to 16% packet loss for a while, causing problems with video calls - we’re working from home and have to do a lot of these.

I’ve got a SamKnows white box which plugs into the router via a network cable and runs tests once per hour.  Looking at the logs there’s no pattern to when it happens - it can be anytime night or day.  I’ve done a factory reset on the router (a virgin hub 3), tried putting it into modem mode with another router, bought new network cables, and am out of ideas now.  The service test on the Virgin website says there aren’t any problems.

is there anything else we can do?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss

@Lakes_guy wrote:

I’m getting a lot of packet loss on my broadband.  It’s fine for a while but then goes up to 16% packet loss for a while, causing problems with video calls - we’re working from home and have to do a lot of these.

I’ve got a SamKnows white box which plugs into the router via a network cable and runs tests once per hour.  Looking at the logs there’s no pattern to when it happens - it can be anytime night or day.  I’ve done a factory reset on the router (a virgin hub 3), tried putting it into modem mode with another router, bought new network cables, and am out of ideas now.  The service test on the Virgin website says there aren’t any problems.

is there anything else we can do?

Create a BQM and post the live link.

Lakes_guy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sure, here it is: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a98fd3d2504254779602158950a73badb1036fe2
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lakes_guy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Lakes_guy_0-1611413799675.png

Also, this is from the Sam Knows monitoring tool I mentioned (Dashboard - SamKnows One)

0 Kudos